Chapter 9

Chapter 9

I could think of nothing but the dance for the next two weeks. One week before the dance, I bought my dress, and when I got home, I ran up to the woods to show Abigail the pictures I took of it. It was slightly below my knees, and was a simple white with gray straps and a belt in the middle. It was the most beautiful thing I'd ever thing and it was only twenty dollars, being in the clearance section.

"That's so pretty!" Abigail exclaimed.

"Thank you! It's even comfortable. Almost the perfect dress."

"I don't know what I'm going to wear," Abigail confessed, her face falling a bit.

"Don't you have any dresses at home?" I asked Abigail shook her head. "Maybe you can borrow one of mine," I said, then remembered Abigail was a good few inches taller than me.

"I'll figure out something," Abigail assured me. I left the woods with a smile on my face.

The night before the dance, Abigail texted me to say her father had just left on the business trip - and wouldn't be back till Sunday morning. The morning of the dance, I was so excited I could hardly get ready for school, and all day, I barely paid attention in any of my classes. At lunch, all I could possibly talk about was the dance, to Sierra, who didn't seem very interested. After all, she wasn't going, and she'd told me so the minute the school had decided it was going to be a dance with dates.

I got home and I couldn't sit down, I was so energetic and excited. At four, I dashed up to the woods to get Abigail. She was already at the meeting spot when I got there, a bug tucked under her shoulder.

"Hey," she said, casually. Then she broke into a grin and we hugged each other.

"What'd you tell Andrew?" I asked.

"Oh, I told him we were having a sleepover, 'girls only', and that I'd be back in the morning. He seemed to not care, he'll probably be up watching action movies all night now that I'm not there to tell him to be quiet."

"Nice! Well, come on, Mom's getting dinner ready now, since the dance starts at six..." We headed back towards the house, and every time her arm brushed against mine, my heart fluttered. We walked inside and my mom was standing by the door, waiting.

"Mom," I said, "this is Abigail. Abigail, this is my mom." My mother pulled Abigail into a hug then pulled back to look at her.

"It's so nice to meet you, Abigail, I've heard so much about you." My mom said. Abigail turned slightly pink.

"It's nice to meet you, too," she said. We sat down to have dinner. I was pleased to see Abigail and my mother getting along very well. After dinner was finished, Abigail and I went upstairs to get changed.

"So, did you ever find a dress?" I asked as we walked upstairs.

"I did, actually," Abigail said, "it was my mother's old dress. It's a bit old fashioned, but pretty anyway."

"I'm excited to see it," I said. "Anyway, you can get changed in the bathroom, I'll be in my room, and then once we're done, we can do hair and makeup and all that."

Abigail thanked me and walked into the bathroom, and I walked into my room. I took my beautiful white dress out from my closet and began to get changed. I had a little trouble with the zipper in the back, but I got it in the end. I walked out and knocked on the bathroom door.

"You done?" I asked. In response, Abigail opened the door, and my jaw dropped. My first reaction was to her hair. I'd never seen her let it down, with no braids, no ponytails, nothing. It was slightly wavy, a bit thin, and fell to her elbows. My second reaction was to the dress. It was, as she had said, a bit old fashioned, but I liked it nonetheless. It was charcoal gray, with white trim on the neckline, and the sleeves were baggy and went almost to her elbows. Abigail was also wearing a pair of large, wire frame glasses, the type that are generally more for fashion than for sight, and that had a more old-fashioned vibe, but that she definitely pulled off.