Prologue

"How much longer, Clearstream? My legs are so tired, and my kits are freezing," whimpered Swallowsong to the BirchClan medicine cat. The queen had recently given birth to two small kits, Swankit and Starlingkit, whose growth had been stunted by the harsh winter that had threatened the four Clans. Now strong winds and lightning had forced BirchClan from its home, but hopefully only temporarily. The cats were heading towards the only place they knew was safe - the Fire Caves.

The Caves were the place where the medicine cats met up every half moon to share tongues with StarClan, their warrior ancestors. The reason why the Caves had their name was because, every night, the moon would touch the river that flowed through the Caves, when the medicine cats met, then in the dawn, when the cats awoke, the sun would rest on the water, and set it on fire with its red glare. BirchClan were desperately hoping that StarClan would give them shelter from the storm when they got there; it had been a long, tiring journey, especially for the queens and elders.

The night was almost gone by the time the exhausted and bone-weary cats reached the Caves. The warriors made temporary dens for all the cats, then settled down to rest. Soon, the whole Clan was asleep..

Apart from two kits.

Swankit and Starlingkit were not tired at all after the journey, as they had been carried in Swallowsong's mouth the whole time. Now, they were well-rested and ready to explore.

The kits played in and out of the tunnels, squeaking and falling over each other, until, by accident, Starlingkit pushed her sister over, who tumbled down the bank of the river that ran through the tunnels, then landed with a splash in the freezing water. She wailed, and her mother and Clearstream the medicine cat rushed to her side.

As Swallowsong helped her daughter out of the water, Clearstream noticed something that made her mouth drop open. The kit had fallen in the stream when the sun set the river on fire; blazing droplets of water dropped off the kit - she was having a vision. Fire burned all around Swankit, while water lapped at her feet. Clearstream was immediately reminded of the ominous prophecy;

There are dark times coming; the only cat who can save you is the one who has been touched and blessed by fire and water... dark times are coming, beware...

Thanks for reading! Sorry it's so short, but the next chapter will be longer! I won't be adding allegiances because it's sort of an introduction to the characters by description and personality rather than just saying what they look like.. I hope you understand!
Thanks again,
~Maple