Chapter 5

Swanpaw's stomach gave a lurch at the young tom's alarming words. Cuckoopelt had started her kitting? But Clearstream was here at the Gathering, so who was helping? There weren't many warriors left back at camp, and only a couple of apprentices! She looked up when a voice mewed her name; all the BirchClan cats were pouring out of the clearing after their leader, who was running to his mate's aid. Swanpaw followed her sister, who had stopped to wait, and raced after her Clan, worry and panic swirling in her belly.
     The BirchClan cats didn't even stop to say goodbye to the other Clans, they just carried on running through the forest as if their lives depended on it. But in truth, it was another cat's life, and maybe even her kits. Swanpaw thought it was sort of touching how a whole Clan could be united just to help others. If they couldn't even do that, then Swanpaw wasn't sure she would want to be part of a Clan that shunned those in need.
     Before she knew it, they were pounding down the trail that led into the hollow. Clearstream and Autumnstar had already entered her den, from which they could hear groaning and panting. Swanpaw and her sister rushed over to the medicine cat den, which was already crowded with cats. Tangledbriar, who had given birth before, and Swallowsong, their mother, were right beside the queen, helping her through it. Clearstream was busy questioning Lakepaw and his brother, who had been caring for the she-cat.
     "What did you give her?" The medicine cat was asking Lightpaw. The flustered young grey tabby replied,
     "I gave her some poppy seeds for the pain."
     Clearstream still looked concerned, but she nodded to the apprentice. "That is what it's for. But I don't think that's what I would have given her.." Her voice got quiet as she turned around and began shuffling through piles of strange-smelling herbs. Clearstream suddenly turned around, muttering to herself, and saw the den full of warriors and apprentices.
     "Out! Out, all of you!" She looked at the two she-cats helping the queen. "Except Tangledbriar and Swallowsong."
     Autumnstar looked dismayed at being separated from his beloved mate. Clearstream looked disapproving.
     "Even you, Autumnstar."
     The ginger tabby sagged a little and headed out of the den, followed by the two chattering apprentices.
     "Should we go hunting and get something for her and her kits when they're born?" Starlingpaw asked her mentor, Darkpool. Swiftstep, who was standing nearby with Redpaw, agreed.
     "Yes. Take Redpaw with you. The fresh-kill pile needs filling up."
     The three apprentices hurried up the slope and out of the camp, one red, one white and light grey, and the other dark grey with white flecks. Swanpaw thought they must look a right sight to any other cat watching. The friends headed into the woods, and despite the fact that it was past moon-high, they managed to catch a mouse and a squirrel. Exhausted, the apprentices trudged back to camp, only to be greeted with joyous mews.
     Moonpaw bounded up to them, excitement shining in her eyes. "She's given birth to three healthy kits, two toms and two she-cats!"
     Swanpaw felt her heart swell with happiness and raced into the medicine cat den. Inside, Tangledbriar and Swallowsong were sitting triumphantly next to a tired looking Cuckoopelt.
     Clearstream was looking fondly down at the four mewling kits suckling at the queen's belly.
     Swanpaw looked at them, breathless with excitement. "What are they called?"
     Cuckoopelt looked up from her kits. She flicked her tail towards a light ginger-cream tom. "This one is Yellowkit," she pointed to another darker orange tom - "This is Emberkit, and these are Greykit and Bluekit." She gestured towards a grey she-cat and a blue-ish one. She chuckled slightly. "They really are colourful, aren't they?" She meowed, meaning their names. "They're like my own little rainbow."
     Clearstream turned to Swanpaw and Starlingpaw. "It's time for you to go now. Get some rest."
     Swanpaw was happy to oblige, and she and her sister dragged their paws out of the tree trunk tunnel and  into the apprentice den, instantly falling into a deep, well earned sleep.

***

     "May all cats who can hunt for themselves gather beneath the High Branch!" Autumnstar's loud and somewhat tired mew echoed around the hollow.