Storm

Black clouds sprawl across the sky, and the scent of rain spreads through the barn. We sit in silence listening to the downpour, until a crackle of thunder erupts. Each raindrop sounds like the falling of bullets against the old roof, and the whirring of the wind picking up sends a cool chill throughout everyone.

The small fire burned away in the centre of us, everyone huddling closer to it as it was the only source of heat.

I peered over at Carl who was cuddled up next to Judith, sleeping peacefully. I smiled to myself, noticing that this was the only time Carl wasn't worrying about where we would be going next, or what the plan was. His arms were protectively over Judith, keeping her from harm. Seeing Carl content put my mind at ease, and I also tried to forget the anxiety of not knowing what our next move would be.

The rain seemed to get worse, pounding harder and harder against the battered walls. We had all been relieved when the rain came, but no one expected a storm - no one wanted a storm.

"You should get some sleep. Looks like he's making the most of it," Michonne giggled, nodding toward Carl.

"I guess so. Night Michonne," I smiled at her before lying about a metre away from Carl and Judith.

My back hit the cold ground beneath me, sending a shiver up my spine. It wasn't comfortable at all, I didn't know how Carl was sleeping so well. I tossed and turned, but nothing helped, and the ground stayed stiff and harsh underneath me. Although, this was about to be the least of my problems. The rain got heavier than I thought it could and made my body tense up at the bitter cold sweeping around me.

My numb arms wrapped around myself in an attempt to provide warmth, but nothing helped. I shivered and trembled, hoping that somehow I'd drift into sleep, but given my current conditions, it was impossible.

I stared silently at the roof of the barn, until I heard shuffling next to me. I rolled over and saw Rick holding Judith in his arms, giving me a small nod before retreating to the opposite side of the barn.

Carl lifted his head slightly, before holding an arm out to me as an invitation to take Judith's place. I hurried over to him and snuggled into his side as he pulled me close, grinning at the sudden warmth he had supplied me with.

"Have you slept yet?" He asked with his eyes still closed, making me giggle slightly.

"Nope," I replied, resting my head on his chest.

"Why not?" He yawned and fluttered his eyes open to look at me.

"Too cold." I gazed back up at him.

"Really? I didn't think it was that bad." He shrugged slightly after he finished speaking.

"That's because you've been cuddled up to Judith for the last 3 hours, sleeping." I laughed and he cracked a smile.

"If you wanted to cuddle with me, you could've just asked. No need to get jealous of Judith." He teased me playfully.

I rolled my eyes at him and laughed quietly. "I'm not jealous of Judith - I'm just using you because you're warm," I smirked as he pretended to act offended.

"Don't lie, you love me. And I keep you warm." He chuckled, kissing my forehead.

"That's true." I answered sincerely.

We heard Daryl yell from the barn door, and saw his struggle to keep out a herd of walkers that had gathered outside. We all rushed to the barn door, barricading it with our bodies, using all the strength we had. The rain was beating down on my face, soaking me to the bone as I used all my power to stop the dead on the other side.

My arms ached and were shaking from both the weather and holding the door for so long. My hair was matted down to my face, and my clothes stuck to my body uncomfortably. I'd lost Carl in the panic as everyone had sprinted to help Daryl, and little Judith was still sleeping soundly through everything.

After being battered by what I hoped was the worst of the storm, the walkers eventually cleared out and everyone sighed in relief. I was shuddering uncontrollably, even colder than I was before. No one else had been hit by the rain like I had, because I chose to stand where the gap was in the barn door. I mentally scolded myself for not realising where I'd been standing. I peeled off my jacket and laid it across a pile of old rubble, hoping it would dry by morning.

I felt a pair of hands wrap around my waist from behind, and a head on my shoulder.

"It had to be you that stands in the worse place possible," he whispered in my ear.

"I know. Now I'm freezing," I leaned my body against his slightly.

"That just gives me an excuse to do this," he turned me around and wrapped his arms around my waist, before meeting my lips with his own. I placed my hands on his chest and enjoyed the moment before it was over. Squeezing me tightly after we both pulled away, I looked at him, my cheeks tinted a shade of red.

"You don't need an excuse to do that again." Our laughs merged into one and he draped his flannel over my chest before we resumed our previous position on the floor, staying close to each other.