Part 20

Ardon padded back into the camp during the early hours of the morning. The sun was just beginning to rise, though the trees easily muted its warmth and brightness. She hadn't slept, and was certain neither had Ronan. The night had been spent in quiet, contemplative silence. It wasn't until Ardon's eyes glanced in their direction that she felt the familiar pang of dread she'd quickly learned to associate with the sinister wolf king. Maybe it wouldn't be long now, she couldn't help but think. Maybe today would be the day he killed her. When it came down to that moment, whenever it happened, she wouldn't make it easy for him.

Ardon called the pack to attention before sidling toward her and Ronan. He unceremoniously tossed a canteen at their feet. She heard the water sloshing around inside, reminding her of the cottony feeling in her mouth. Neither moved for it right away, though, stubbornly staring up at him. This only seemed to amuse him.

"It's not poisoned, I swear. It's too soon to do any real killing," he tutted. "Besides, I find poisoning to be very...uneventful." His eyes glinted with mirth, but Zara didn't share his humor. When still neither moved for the canteen, he clucked his tongue and nudged it with the toe of his boot. "Come now, drink. We have a long day of traveling ahead. If you can't walk, I'll drag you. Your choice."

He waited. Finally, Zara leaned forward and grabbed the leather canteen. It was slick with condensation. As she sat back with it in her lap, she subconsciously reached for her sleeve and tugged it further over her wrist. Ardon didn't seem to notice, though, instead flashing her a grin.

"Good girl."

With that, he stalked off, barking order at his pack. Zara waited until he was on the other side of the camp before unscrewing the lid and taking a long sip. For some reason, the idea of letting him see just how thirsty she was made her wary. He was already in control of so much as it was. She passed it off to Ronan.

"Where do you suppose he's taking us?" He asked before pausing to take a drink, wiping his chin with the back of his hand. His wrists were still bound, the skin around the rope now turning a soft dusky purple. Flecks of dried blood clung to the yellow twin. Her eyes hardened, wondering why Ardon had yet to bind her hands together too. Perhaps she hadn't caused enough trouble for him yet.

Zara sighed after a moment, taking the canteen back to screw on the lid. "I don't know...nowhere good."

Ronan pursed his lips in response. There was a question poised on the tip of his tongue, but he seemed to think better of it and swallowed it back. She had a feeling she knew what it had been, though. While it was clear what Ardon wanted with Zara, he still hadn't said a word about why he was dragging Ronan along with them.

"I'm worried about Annika," Ronan sighed under his breath, brow creasing with worry. "That he's done something to her."

It was the first time his sister had been mentioned since the truth had come out about their quest. Zara wasn't sure what she had expected to feel at the sound of the girl's name, maybe anger or another wave of betrayal. Instead, she found herself worrying with him. But she wouldn't say so. She wouldn't tell him it was alright either, that Annika was alive and just fine, waiting for him to come and fetch her. False hope seemed worse than saying nothing.

"I know."

They were the only two words she gave him, but there wasn't time to say more. Not that Zara was sure what she would have said anyways. It had been a long, long time since she'd comforted anyone. Since she'd been close to anyone for them to seek out her comfort.

There was a low whistle and Zara glanced toward the pack just in time to see Ardon jerking his head toward him, a signal to move out. She stood, grabbing Ronan by the arm and helping to pull him to his feet. Ardon was waiting for them, standing stoically in the center of the camp as his pack prowled around him.