Tossed Into The Rabbit Hole

On the outside, everything seemed to be beautiful, a happy ending to a chilld's horrendous tale. The nightmares had ended for now, though her parents would soon realize the damage to their dear daughter's mind. They could not yet fathom the severity of the fever's toll and would fail to for many years.

When she began calling them pigs all the time, they shook it off at first, attributing it to her being a child. The antics stopped being childishly cute when she was old enough to be seen in public affairs. Evangeline would go around, calling nobles various vile creatures with a brilliant smile on her face, causing quite the scene.

Once, upon meeting a red-headed woman clad in sanguine hues, she called a noblewoman a fox. She went on to say that while the woman looked smart, it meant she couldn't be trusted. Different nobles got different, similar, responses. Upon meeting Earl Trancy, her eyes had widened and a wailing scream of monster had echoed through the party the family was attending.

The swine now looked at their daughter with dark eyes, filled with hatred and greed. Evangeline watched them every day, the darkness and hatred slowly growing. They arranged for an exorcism, letting the rumor slip out that their child was possessed. After all, that would mean it was not their fault she behaved in such a manner.

The priest would arrive, the parents explaining and slipping money into the father's hand before giving him instructions to inform everyone that the girl was dead. This was the night her parents changed from filthy, greedy, pigs, to dark monsters. Everything was wrong, the world seeming to darken around her as they approached. The rest of reality began to slip, the floor falling out from under her as she felt weightless. Within moments, she felt as if she were weighted down in exact opposite of the initial feeling.

Darkness wrapped around her, dark and thick like a wet, wool, blanket. The darkness was smothering, the sight of those glowing eyes approaching too much to handle. Horns and hooves, forked tongues and jagged teeth, the monsters approached and reached for her with gnarled hands and razor claws.

Hands wrapped around her and tangled through her hair as she began to wail in fear. A hand around her throat, one over her mouth, trying to silence the screams as soon as the priest was gone. They dragged her by her hair for part of the way, voices like nails on a chalkboard as they spoke.

"Broken girl. You are a plague upon the family name, a social death sentence. Your father and I will have another child. Hopefully, this one doesn't disappoint."said the female, only half of the words intelligible to her ears as she was was dragged into a dark hole.