Chapter 8

We're walking up the stairs to their apartment. It's a different complex then when I lived with them, a lot bigger and probably nicer. PJ had already explained what happened to Smelly Gabe and I'm glad he's not around anymore. He also told me about Paul and he seems nice enough. Finally, we reached their door and I was so scared. "You'll be fine Abby, just knock." Percy was trying to calm me but it didn't help that much. I steady myself and knocked hard twice. The door opened and my mom stood right there looking beautiful, smile still permanently on her face. "Oh Percy!" She seemed so excited as she gave him a hug. Eventually she let go and looked at me, "Oh, hello! Percy who's your friend?" Now comes the hard part, "Hi Mom." Those two words were all it took for her to look at me, grab my face, and start crying. "Abby? It's you? You're alive! And so grown up! You're beautiful darling." She sobbed as she realized who I was. She grabbed me and hugged me tight, like I was going to disappear, again. I started hugging her back just as tight and cried. "I missed you so much ma. I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry." I apologized profusely for everything. When she let go she grabbed my face again and smiled, "Darling, I missed you. I missed you so much, my little seashell. Well, I guess my little seashell isn't so little. You just had your 16th birthday. I've missed so much. You need to explain everything. Now please." I laughed and grabbed Percy and we sat down on the couch with Ma. "Gabe threatened Percy so I left. Percy didn't know I was alive until my 16th birthday, he had just gotten back from a quest and I had shown up at camp a few days before.....
I explained everything, talking for hours about everything that I'd done in the past 10 years. Then mom talked about what she'd done, which didn't take nearly as long but still took a while. By the time I was done it was way past dinner time and we'd gotten here just after breakfast. I offered to cook and ma denied but I insisted and made blue spaghetti and meatballs. Percy was very excited at the color and devoured the food. Paul had shown up half way through my story and welcomed me home. Now we were sitting around and just talking. I missed this, a lot. Percy was on the couch and I was sitting next to him watching a movie. It was one of ma's favorites and we watched it because she thought I kinda sounded like the girl in the movie. It was "Sweet Home Alabama" and I gotta say it was great. Percy fell asleep around midnight, his head in my lap as I played with his hair. Ma kissed my head as she went to bed saying, "I love having you back, my little country bumpkin" I stifled a laugh "Night Ma." Slowly letting sleep take over.