Chapter 2: Part 2

Simon hadn't been at all like I'd expected.

Instead of arrogant, he was kind. Instead of cold and callously distant, he was filled with a warmth that no photograph or painting could truly capture or convey. Instead of dim-witted, he was intelligent, and he was even funny.

I was conflicted. Completely confused. But not confused enough to know that it was Alistair that I loved beyond reasonable thought.

"You're going to see him again, aren't you?"

Alistair appeared in my doorway, like a ghost that I'd conjured up simply by wanting him too much. His face was made up of harsh lines in the mirror, but even in anger, he was a beautiful man.

I hadn't seen him since the day I'd refused to elope with him, since the day I'd broken his heart.

I slowly rose from my perch on the stool in front of the vanity mirror, as if moving too fast would make him skittish. "You shouldn't be in here, Alistair," I said softly, but my heart was beating like the wings of a bird against my chest. It hurt. Badly.

"I shouldn't? Where should I be, Helena, if not with the woman I love?"

It was early−the house hadn't really woken up yet−but still, I was scared that someone would catch him in my bedroom with me. I rushed to the door and gently closed it, locking him in here with me.

"I have no choice, Alistair."

"There's always a choice."

"Not this time."

My words were final, but the pained look in Alistair's blue eyes was enough to make me want to take them back. It was enough to make me want to forget my family, forget everything, and choose him, if only to remove the pain from his eyes.

"I never thought you'd be the kind of woman to chase after money the way you're doing right now," Alistair said bitterly, after a long moment of silence had passed between us.

"You know exactly why I'm doing this," I whispered.

"No," he said simply, letting me go. "I honestly don't."

His words echoed within me all throughout my date with Simon. I wasn't listening to half of what he was saying, and I was positive that I was coming across as a rude, disinterested idiot, but my heart was too sore to care.

Simon took me walking around the royal grounds. He was going on about something to do with the history of the place, when suddenly, he stopped us short, grabbed me, and pressed his lips against mine.

The kiss lasted for all of five seconds before Simon was pulling back, casting a quizzical look at me.

"You love someone else," he said softly, and I felt my entire body freeze up, much like it had when he'd kissed me.

"No. It's−"

He gave me a soft, knowing smile. "Don't worry, Helena. Your secret is safe with me."

It was an odd response, and I could only surmise that my mother had been right. He didn't care about anything beyond if I had working ovaries. Even then, I felt heat blooming in my cheeks for being so transparent, shame engulfing me like a ball of flames. My mother would be furious if she found out that King Simon was dropping me because I'd been lukewarm to his advances and let on that I was already in love with someone else.

The love I felt for Alistair Lacey was irrevocably etched into my skin. I would have to work on getting it removed.

Simon continued our conversation as if nothing were amiss, for which I was grateful, and when it was time for me to leave, he took my hands in his and squeezed, like you'd do for a friend.