Chapter 25

Minori's POV

"Are you feeling better now Ke Jing?You have us quite worried over your fainting spell the other day." The King asked nonchalantly, sipping on his wine as he finished his sentence. He appeared to have fixed his eyes upon me, but I could not be certain for sure if he was truly looking at me. Afterall, I was sitting beside the Queen, whom I know he adores. The Queen was looking on excitedly at the sight of the men playing, or rather, performing on the grass court ahead of us.

It was rather fortunate for me to have arrived in Mongolia at this point of time that I did. I arrived just in time to catch the Eriin Gurvan Nadaam festival, also known as the Three Games of Men Festival. It could be considered one of the most significant festivals of the Mongolian Culture, celebrating the triumphs of masculinity through the competitions that are held during the festival. It mainly  comprises three events- wrestling, horse riding and archery. Although termed a festival for men, they have started accepting female competitors in the Horse Riding and Archery games in recent years as well.

Kame sat on the seat next to mine, sipping his own wine glass as he watched the competition that was going on at the moment.Although also a competitor himself, Kame was scheduled for a later games for the Royals. They apparently separated the competition by social class as well.

With a small curtsey, I replied in the most demure voice that I could muster. " Yes, your highness. I am absolutely sorry for all the trouble that I have caused. I guess I must not have recovered from My journey here then. I have recovered now, and has accustomed myself to the climate here now."

Trish, who was playing the role of my lady-in-waiting curtsied along with me as well.

"How tender the Qing Princess is. The great lands of Mongolia must have been too rough and uncouth for the civilised princess." A snide voice sounded. Even without looking, I knew who the owner of the voice was.

Had I been Minori in the moment, I would have rebutted immediately with some words that this Princess would have hated to hear. But as the Qing Princess, I had to hold it all in for the sake of diplomatic ties.

Damn! How I would like to tear the tongue out of that woman's mouth!

"Saikhan!"

"Saikhan."

Two voices responded harshly.

My eyes widened as I realised who the two people were. The gentle and kind Cheonwu's response to her nasty remark was both expected and unexpected in a way for me.

But I have not expected Kame to respond as well. Afterall, how much can you expect from a man who has allowed me whipped because of that woman, no matter the promises that he may have made?

For some unfathomable reason, Kame glared darkly at Cheonwu before turning his attention back to Saikhan.

I could not help but wonder why the King and the Queen remained silent during this exchange. But, a slight glance at the bemused expressions on their faces answered my question.

"Watch your mouth Saikhan. Not only is she the Qing Princess, she is also my wife. You do not have the right to insult a royal like her." Kame replied coldly.

"But... But... But what I have mentioned is the truth! She is too weak to survive here. Why else would she have fainted then?" Saikhan retorted.

"The climate here and the Forbidden City is vastly different. She will obviously need time to acclimate. I am certain that you will not be able to survive there either." Cheonwu spoke in his soft and calm voice, throwing a gentle smile that told me that said 'I'm on your side' in my direction.

"Kame gege! Cheonwu gege! Why are you all on her side!" Saikhan whined in her high pitched voice.

I winced as goosebumps rose on my forearms. Through my peripheral vision, I could see Trish doing the same as well.

Gege? Is she for real? Who calls older men gege in these days? She is obviously just trying to get her way this way! And to think men actually enjoy this sort of attention?

A little shudder of disgust went through me as the thought went through my mind.

"Saikhan. Ke Jing is Kame's wife. He will obviously be on her side. Besides, what they have mentioned is true. Stop being so willful now. You are a big girl already." The Queen said in a gentle voice.Yet, it was impossible to ignore the warning behind it.

Seems like I am not the only one who hates her royal bitchiness here.

"Fine. I will stop on one condition. I want a race with her. Since this is the Nadaam Festival, we definitely cannot miss out on the main events of the Festival. So, Princess Ke Jing, will you accept my challenge on the horse riding race on the last day of the Festival?" Saikhan finished with a smirk with Challenge written all over her face.

My eyes narrowed. Fine. If this was what it takes to get her off my back so that I can survive long enough to go back to the Well in the Forbidden City, I will go through with it. This is more than about Kame right now.

"I accept your challenge. If I win, you can stop pestering me with all your trouble. If you win, I will willingly give up my position as Kame's principal Wife to you."