Chapter 4

Original Stats:
1.1K Views. 45 Votes. 19 Comments.

━━━━━━━━━

Chapter 4

━━━━━━━━━

I groaned quietly as I woke up to the bright light of the sun. I reached over absentmindedly, looking for my phone. I frowned as I brought my hand back to my side. Where was it? I opened my eyes to see the sun was high up in the sky. I sighed as the memories of yesterday came flooding back. Douglas had captured Davenport. He took me out here, and now, I was stuck with Chip. I sat up, only to feel like I had been shoved into a box all night. My back was aching while my neck still felt as though there was a log underneath it. I closed my eyes once more as I attempted to rub away the pain in my neck and back. I stretched out my neck as I moved my hands around and reached as far as I could to the spot that had me ready to lie back down. I was never going to save Mr. Davenport in this condition. I shook my head as I stood up warily, hoping that I could walk it off. My feet felt as though I had walked a million miles and hadn't rested all night. I rolled my eyes. Maybe Chip was right. I didn't belong out here. I belonged in the Davenport mansion where there were fluffy blankets and plush beds in every room. I missed the smell of eggs and bacon in the morning before we left for school. I even missed Tasha's constant tries to be my best friend.

She had left on a huge reporting deal along with Adam and Leo. They each headed over to the other end of California while Davenport and I decided to stay home so he could train me. Douglas had planned that we would all be gone for two weeks, though. That we would be gone one too many to save Mr. Davenport.

I glanced from side to side as I looked for Chip. He should be right here. But of course, he was off somewhere. Probably hunting a bear for all I knew. He did say that he was going to catch food for us to eat this morning, before our little fight yesterday. I would hope that he's off cooking for the two of us. I would have to repay him somehow after this. If, he was able to get me home in time to get to Mr. Davenport alive. If not, my life was in danger as well. If Douglas turned my chip back on for even a minute, he could tell whether or not I was alive. He would find out soon enough I had been saved and was this close to beating him.

Where is Chip? I thought he would be back by now. Surely the loud sounds of my pain would have brought him back. Either that or...

No. He wouldn't leave me. I might have gotten on his nerves, and him on mine, but he wouldn't leave me stranded here. Alone. In the middle of his twisted, rock paved, woods. I didn't even know if I was anywhere near California, for that matter. I could be out in another state for all I knew. I sighed as I looked around again, tying to find some sign of him. I hated that he was making me do this. I didn't exactly feel like going on a Chip hunt this morning.

I rolled my eyes and decided to walk around the lake in search of my adventure buddy. He hadn't even left a footprint for all I could tell. The lake looked exactly as it had last night. Not that I could see everything in this great of detail before. I stopped as I reached the opposite side of the lake to where I had slept. This was where he had been last night before I had fallen asleep. Where could the rebel have disappeared to? He couldn't have gone that far. Unless he walked all night.

Maybe he was testing me. Maybe he wanted me to find my way out of here. Maybe this was like my right of passage or something. He did seem like the kind of person that would go to great detail to make a scavenger hunt, even under my circumstances. Or maybe it was simpler than that. Maybe he really did leave me behind.

My only fear of going on without him, is if he was stupid enough to place a fork in the path. I didn't want to make a choice between two roads. Two roads that could lead me to two very different places. It seemed silly for me to leave the lake, but that's exactly what I was going to do. I couldn't see him for miles, anyhow. And I was on a pretty tight schedule if I do say so myself. Once I got back to California, I would know where to go. Douglas had failed to blindfold me on the way up here. If I could get to the road, I would be fine. That was actually my plan in the first place. If it hadn't have been for Chip, I might be halfway to Mission Creek by now. The only problem would be actually walking that far, that fast. I now had four days, counting today, to return home from, where ever I stood now. The clock was even ticking as I sat and thought about where Chip could be.