Chapter 5

Avery's POV - 

I feel my body rocking and strong hands around my fragile body. My head is propped on someone's shoulder as I feel them steadily walk, cradling me in their arms. My eyes open and I see street lights hover over me; they illuminate the night sky and I look up to see a face I barely recognise. My head is still pounding. I can't tell if it's the darkness around us that is messing with my vision, or if I just simply don't know him. 

It's a him...

My breathing starts to rapidly pick up speed as I remember what just happened to me. Being pulled and poked and breathed on, by multiple hims.

"Hey..." The boy slowly starts. 

I squint my eyes as I try to move my body so it releases from his hold, but my feet are still up in the air. My body still in his arms. He shuffles his hands to pull me closer.

"It's me. Justin..."

Justin?

My breathing slows down as I look up to his hazel eyes. His jawline clenching as he scans me curiously. I start to zone out and my head falls on to his shoulders, my arms wrapping around his neck. 

Justin's POV 

I want to scream, punch anything, murder someone. 

I'm holding Avery in my arms as the event that just took place runs through my memory, over and over again like a broken record. I see her. I see her breaking into a million pieces. She tries to stand and hold her self together. Her eyes are searching for support, for help, for it all to end. I pull the guy's hair who was pushing vigorously on her breast and slam him into the hard, stone wall. I punch one in the head, knocking him to t floor before the rest of the guys let go of Avery and look at me. They seem to not know what's going on. What have they been taking? Drinking? 

"What the fuck do you think you're doing?" One of the guys slur as they let go of Avery's neck.

"I should be saying that to you, you sick fucking scum bag" I retaliate as I kick him in the stomach. 

Avery falls to the ground as she gasps for air. I run over to her as the guys - who look much older than 18 - come towards me, throwing punches, throwing feet. I dodge a few, but get hit in the face, leaving my lip to bleed and one of my eyes to enlarge. I scoop Avery up with my hands as her sweater itches on my skin. Her body mixes with the smell of drugs; weed mostly. 

I run out of the ally way with Avery in my embrace as the guys behind yell and scoff. 

"Hey! Asshole! I wasn't fucking finished with her! Bring her back!"

I don't turn around. I just hold Avery tight, knowing that I had to protect her. 

I don't know where to take her. She's completely out of it and I don't know what to do. Should I take her to my place? I can't just leave her out on the streets and I have no idea where she lives. 

The walk isn't too far from my place as the wind blows behind me. I decide to lay Avery in the back seat of my Dad's old truck that Aunt Lucy keeps around, and cover her cold body with my jacket. I close the door gently and lock the truck behind me before sprinting inside quietly to grab more blankets. I look around the cold, lifeless house. All of the lights are still turned on, but no maids anywhere to be seen. Aunt Lucy must be home. I pray to god that I don't wake her while creeping my way up the stairs to the cupboard, where all of the blankets are stowed away. 

I keep my head lowered, resting my feet one after the other on the tiled floor and see Aunt Lucy's bedroom door closed. I let out a breath and slowly make my way to the cupboard. I select two big, white blankets from the top and two crisp pillows from the bottom. I tuck them underneath my arms and close the cupboard door, gently releasing my hand from the handle.