chapter one - b

Marinette was on cloud nine.

She had to be the happiest she's ever been her whole life and her best friend Alya just couldn't understand why.

"You've literally been skipping all the way here," She said while watching the hyperactive girl jump up the stairs to their school. "Did you have one too many macaroons for breakfast? Told you all that sugar isn't healthy, even if your parents are amazing bakers."

Marinette laughed as she waited for Alya at the top of the staircase. "No, actually," She leaned her weight onto one leg. "Not this time."

Alya shook her head in disbelief. "Then tell me, girl!" She punched her friend's arm. "What happened?"

Marinette's grin merely grew wider as she spun around to watch Alya's reaction. "That's a secret!"

It's been a little over a week since Ladybug and Chat Noir revealed their identities to each other. The two hadn't seen each other in that form since then, due to the lack of Akumatized attacks, but of course, every weekday, they're able to see each other in their civilian form. Marinette couldn't believe that Chat Noir could be Adrien; by how differently they acted, one couldn't have guessed.

The story of this all began with the red string of fate, a Chinese legend which led someone to their fated lover. In her selfishness, Marinette had tried to cut the string without accepting who was on the other end, but the universe had a different idea for her and she was absolutely thankful. It took a long time for her to accept, but thankfully with Chat's persistence and working together, she was able to look by the red string that distracted her from her daily routine.

Ever since they revealed themselves to each other, neither Marinette nor Adrien have seen the string. They merely believed that their relationship wouldn't need the foundation of a child's story to base it off of.

In other terms, a chance to restart.

In her excitement, Marinette accidentally bumped into someone while walking backwards. "Oh! Sorry..." She spun around to make eye contact with a pair of green emeralds looking down at her. A white long-sleeved buttoned up over a black t-shirt, scruffy blonde hair, and a gentle hand holding up her arm to stop her from falling over.

"Morning, Marinette," Adrien gave a toothy smile at the girl. He moved his hand to hold hers and Marinette's cheeks felt as if they were lit aflame. "I don't want you hurting that pretty face of yours this early in the day."

A red flush painted her face and she could feel her heartbeat quicken like it was running on a treadmill. "O-Okay," She stuttered, unable to think straight.

He reached out and ruffled her bangs. "See you in class," He grinned and waved as he left the girls behind. As soon as he turned around, Marinette lost all feeling in her legs and she wobbled to a collapse onto the floor.

"My, my," Alya could only shake her head as she squatted down next to the lovesick teen. "I'd dare say that this has gotten worse. You can't even walk up the stairs now!"

Marinette placed her hand on top of her head where Adrien touched her bangs. "You could say that again."

Ever since the two revealed their identities to each other, things were... A little awkward, one could say. The boy she idolized was the superhero that flirted with her on a near day-to-day basis.

The girl who sat behind him in class was actually the one he loved with every rescue mission.

Basically, it was a dream come true with a few setbacks. It was obviously going to take time to get back into the rhythm they had once before, but that was no problem for the either of them. They were fine where they were at, since their feelings were completely reciprocated.

"Come on girl," Alya laughed as she helped her best friend up. "We're going to be late to class at this rate. You're gonna miss your hourly 'staring at the back of Adrien's head'  if we don't hurry up."

"Oh no!" Marinette hefted her bag over her shoulder. "We better go then, Alya!" The two scampered into the school and up the stairs to class, completely unaware of the presence following right behind them.

The kwami Nooroo followed a few feet behind, out of sight and out of mind. It peeked from behind the door frame, watching the classmates move around and about with anxious purple eyes. His wings fluttered in nervousness, trying to figure out where the Miraculous would be.

"My kwami senses are telling me that Tikki and Plagg are around here somewhere, but I can't seem to find them..." It muttered to itself in an antsy frenzy. "And I can't slip in while so many humans are around... Oh no, Hawk Moth will be mad at me again. Oh dear, oh no..."

Its gaze wandered around the room, analyzing each and every classmate with close inspection.

"If I can figure out who Ladybug and Chat Noir are, Hawk Moth would be proud of me! Yes, yes..." It nodded its head enthusiastically. "I'll stay here until I sense them moving elsewhere, a place with less people, yes..."

When it was sure no one was looking, it slipped past the door and into the bag of a boy with glasses and a red hat. It snuggled itself up against a couple books and CDs and strongly felt the presence of the other kwamis more than before.

"For sure, they're high school students. Yes sir, this is good. I will report that to master and he will be happy, yes."

It closed its heavy eyes, finally having a break away from its Miraculous owner.

"I can finally be free."

---

it only took a year for me to finally update. whoops.

go check out my other ml fic forget-me-not instead; that's more regularly updated and has a better plot line. trust me. see you in a year.

xoxo,
arisa