Chapter 24-Divide and Conquer

Okayy so here is the next chapter! I was so pleasantly surprised by all the speculation about who it was they saw. I'm glad I could instill that sort of curiousity. Anyways now the wait is over!! Congrats to those who guessed correctly, I know some definitely did. Enjoy this chappter and please comment your thoughts as they are very much appreciated!! :D 

The person in front of them wasn’t Alec at all.

It was Deacon. The waiter from the restaurant.

“What the hell are you doing here?” Jace called out.

Deacon’s snake eyes flashed menacingly.

“I’m here for the same reason you are, I’m sure.”

“For Alec?” Isabelle said in disbelief.

“Well in a round-about way yes. Or rather I’m here for what’s inside him. But first there’s something I want. Something you have. So just hand it over and I’ll let you leave right now, give you a bit more time to live before I kill you all later.”

“Hand what over?” Clary asked suspiciously.

“Oh don’t play dumb with me little girl, although I’m sure you don’t have to try that hard.”

“Hey!” Jace yelled, taking an angry step forwards but Clary grabbed his arm.

“Did I offend you? Good. Now hand it over I don’t have time for this nonsense.”

He looked at the blank expression on each other faces and snarled.

“Give me the damn chest!”

“We don’t know what you’re talking about.” Isabelle said, brows furrowed.

“Don’t lie to me!”

His entire persona seemed to have switched: the smirk was gone, replaced by a wild, crazed look in his eyes and a cruel twist in his lips. He was very clearly unhinged.

“I had the chest. I worked out where it was, I took it from the shop-”

“That was you.” Jace said in realisation. The shadowy figure at the shop had been Deacon and the thing he had stolen was the chest. How had they not realised this before?

“Pretty-boy works it out. Yes that was me. I had the chest but I had to stash it in case you and your stupid friend had still been chasing after me. I went looking for it earlier but it was gone. I’d been using these warehouses as a hide out for ages, very convenient place to store large groups of demons. I mean it’s not like anyone checks them. So of course I noticed when your little boyfriend,” he simpered mockingly at Magnus, “turned up.”

The group looked at each other, not speaking but each conveying that they were thinking the same thing: Alec was here. But they had to find him and soon.

“But it all makes sense. You found the chest and now you’re here to save your friend. Well I hate to break it to you but that’s not an option so. Give. Me. The. Chest.”

“We don’t have it.” Jace said blankly but Magnus spoke over him.

“Fine. You’re right. We have it but we’re not going to hand it over until you answer a few questions for me.”

The other Shadowhunters glance at him incredulously but didn’t speak. They had to trust Magnus had a plan.

“Why don’t I just kill you now and take it?” Deacon sneered.

“Because we don’t have it on us. It’s hidden somewhere else in the warehouse and you need us alive to tell you where.”

“I don’t need all of you alive,” he mused, staring evilly at Jace as though imagining all the wonderful ways he could kill him.