Chapter 6: Van Buren Supernova

Your POV

Although Sherlock and I had solved so many cases... this one stood out the most. This one was the most twisted. Even though there weren't many casualties so far (only 12), I feared that this was out Darkest Hour.

"It's a fake. It has to be." Miss Wenceslas paced around him, a look of anxiety and panic on her face.

"That painting has been subjected to every test known to science." She said.

"It's a very good fake, then." He spun around and glared at her, trying to figure out something, anything that would help his case. He had to prove it, but he didn't know how. "You know about this, don't you? This is you, isn't it?" He said, taking a step towards her. She backed up in a panic, unable to say anything. She turns to Lestrade, looking exasperated.

"Inspector, my time is being wasted. Would you mind showing yourself and your friends out?" The pink phone in his pocket rings, abruptly breaking the silence in the room.

"The painting is a fake." There is only a sound of faint breathing on the other end. "It's a fake. That's why Woodbridge and Cairns were killed." The phone remains silent. "Oh, come on. Proving it's just the detail. The painting is a fake. I've solved it. I've figured it out. It's a fake! That's the answer. That's why they were killed." Still silence. I take a deep breath as my hands start to tremble. "Okay, I'll prove it. Give me time. Will you give me time?"

After a brief moment, a boy's voice comes over the phone. "Ten..." He said, voice trembling. Sherlock instantly spun around, looking at the painting. His eyes darted back and forth between each tiny detail. I began to look as well, hoping my cleverness at the least would give me a hint as to why... why?

"Oh god. It's a kid!" Said Lestrade, shocked.

"Nine..." The boy's voice rang out again. It filled the room with tension and slowly we began to panic. I couldn't find anything.

"It's a countdown he's giving me time!" Sherlock whispered to himself, eyes narrowing and scaling every inch of the painting.

"Jesus!" I yell, taking a step back from the painting and listening to the phone.

"Eight..."

"This kid will die. Tell me why the painting is a fake. Tell me!" She flinched and opened her mouth, but Sherlock raised his hand almost immediately.

"Seven..."

"No! Shut up! Don't say anything, it only works if I figure it out!" He turns back swiftly towards the painting. John looked away, walking a few paces away. I put my hand on his shoulder as he did. I stood still, watching Sherlock and listening to the phone. "Must be possible. Must be staring me in the face..."

"Six..."

"Come on..." John whispered to himself as he turned back around.

"Woodbridge knew... but how?"

"Five..."

"It's speeding up!" I yelled, my hands really starting to shake.

"Sherlock!" Yelled John urgently.

I heard Sherlock gasp, his mouth shaping a perfect O.  "Oh!"

"Four..."

"In the planetarium! You heard it too. Oh, that is brilliant! That is gorgeous!"

"Three..." He plopped the phone into my hand, walking away from the painting.

"What's brilliant? What is?" I asked urgently. "Come on Sherlock you've done it just say it!" I yelled, anger flaring up in my chest.

"Two..."

"Sherlock!!!" I yelled furiously, tears welling up in my eyes. "There's a god damned kid and you're going to let him die to prove you're clever. You heartless man!" Sherlock, choosing to ignore my comment, snatched the phone out of my hand.

"The Van Buren Supernova!" He shouted into the phone. There's a short pause, I held my breath.

"Please. Is anybody there? Somebody please help me." Sherlock sighs out a relieved breath, as I nearly collapse into John's arms. Tears stream down my cheeks as I laugh out of pure relief. He hands the phone to Lestrade.

"There you go. Go find out where he is and pick him up."

"Sherlock... I- I'm sorry."

"It's alright, (Y/N) it was the heat of the moment, I understand." He said, taking a step towards me. I jump towards him and wrap my arms around him. I cry on his shoulder as he awkwardly wraps his arms around my back.

"You're brilliant." I breath out.

"You are too." He whispered, my eyes widening. I smiled to myself, trying my hardest not to blush.