Chapter Ten| First Date

Jonathan

Patrick comes down the hall with a upset expression on his face and normally I ignore his emotions but this time he was heading right towards me. "You know, it's not often I'll admit this, but I'm actually jealous of you" he says going straight past me and to the fridge. "Wait, why are you jealous" I wonder. I haven't done anything particularly special lately. "You'll see" he mumbles heading to the couch and plopping down with a beer in his hand. 

Before I had time to try and figure out what they hell this man was talking about I see Mary Kate coming down the hallway. She was wearing a black dress that stopped right at her knees showing off her legs and was off her shoulders with long sleeves. Her long hair was naturally wavy and beautiful, complimenting her sparkly blue eyes. She had little make up on simply because she didn't need it. "Is this okay? Is it too much? Because I let Patrick pick it out" she laughs. "No... you look. Wow" I stutter. Very few times have I ever been at a loss for words, this was one of them though. "You look pretty wow yourself" she says coming over to fixing my tie. I inhale her scent and watch as her delicate fingers work their magic. When she finishes she looks up to me and I find myself lost in her eyes. "Oh shoot, I forgot something" she says abruptly and leaves me standing there frozen in place.

I watch her disappear into her room and I remained motionless. "I swear to god you do anything to hurt her I will hurt you so bad you wouldn't be able to step a foot on ice ever again" Patrick warns stepping front of me. "What are you supposed to be her dad or something" I scoff. "I know you know what happened to her family... so I'm taking it upon myself to protect her because quite frankly she's too good for this sad excuse of a world" he informs me. I didn't really think about that. "Listen Pat, I really like her okay. And I'm going to fuck up, you have to understand that. But never in a million year would I dream of hurting her. I'm terrible with emotions but I know my feelings for her are strong and it's honestly kind of scary. All I know is that girl means a lot to me, and I want to make her happy" I finish. He nods his head and I see him relax a little. "Alright man, I trust you" he says patting my shoulder. I'm glad he and Pat are so close but I would be lying if I wasn't scared I would hurt her. Further more I'm afraid of what Pat would do to me if I did.

I take her out to Chicago Cut for dinner, we've hung out a bunch over the last few weeks but never as a couple or alone. She orders the steak and potatoes and I get the same. "So tell me, how do you like the assistant coach life" I ask as she sips her water. "It's amazing. At first it was weird going from player to coach but I love learning from Q and the players. You guys are going to be great this season, and you can keep my word on that" she says matter of factly. "Is that so" I ask and she nods. "Well yeah. Your defense is outstanding which is kind of unnecessary if you see how Crow and Emry are playing. Plus Shaw is ready to prove himself as a rookie, then you still got the big guns such as yourself and the Patricks. Big Hoss will never slow down and there's so much potential for a potent four line rotation. You'll be set for any challenge" she says. As I listen to her talk about hockey I can tell she loves it just as much as I do. She doesn't have to force herself upon the subject, she's so passionate about the sport and I hope she plays again. We get our food and enjoy each other's company, I ask about her and she answers. She was very open, no matter what I asked she would answer unfathomed. "So, what were you like before the accident" I ask and she kind of slows down. "Kind of the same I guess. I mean my parents did their best to raise me right. I've made my mistakes, but mistakes are just opportunities to grow. They used to call me the Ice Queen because I would spend 8 hours in school then 5 hours in the rink. I made my own drills and obstacles. I was kind of a loner, no one besides my family understood me, what I was trying to do. But I always found room for improvement. I'm a little more relaxed now, my passion is a little more evenly distributed but that part of me is still in there somewhere" she says.

We walk the streets of Chicago on this oddly warm January night. Lights still lined the city as the sun began to set. She was latched around my arm as we stroll down Michigan avenue admiring this beautiful city. "I love it here. I should have came here a long time ago" she mentions looking at the tall buildings. "Yeah, you should have" I admit and she give me a weird look. "Then I would have gotten to know you sooner" I say with a smile as she blushes. She stands on her tippie toes and plants a kiss on my lips, the taste of her was intoxicating. "Thank you Jonathan, for everything" she says softly. It was at that moment I knew that I was never going to let her go.