The Day

Waking up had been rough for KD. She and the Ghost Squad had stayed up until at least eleven, though she had stayed up much longer. When they woke up, the team went and ate breakfast in the mess hall at 6 while still in their pajamas. But KD didn't eat much.
She didn't know what was wrong with her. Always, she had an appetite, but yesterday and today...not so much. She had a hard time getting herself to do anything or feel anything. After that panic attack she'd had and learning of the Jedi...that KD might be separated from her brothers, well, she had receded inside herself. She felt emotionally drained.
Normally, KD would be excited and rarely did she hide her emotions, but today, as she sat still in history class listening to the droid talk about the Old Republic time, she was very closed off. She knew Snipe had noticed, for he saw through her mask. It was made of stone, like Jax's, a rare occurrence.
She was worried for what today would bring. What today would mean. For today was the day that Jedi was coming.

And today was the day of the Final Test.

~~~~

A YT-1760 Light Transport shuttle dropped out of hyperspace. It was a smuggler's vessel, armed and made for quick runs. The hull of the ship rattled and the engine hummed with life. However, inside the curved walls and quarters built for a good-sized crew and contraband, was only one life form.

A woman with tightly braided, dyed-red hair sat in the cockpit of the YT-1760. She piloted the ship without assistance, and it began a steady pace towards Kamino's Republic Blockade. As it did so, the woman turned in the pilot's chair to face her astromech companion-- a small, black and silver plated droid.

"Rate, send out a signal to the fleet."

R8-T3, or "Rate" as his organic overlord called him, whirred and complied with the orders.

The woman sat back in the chair, arms crossed over her chest, as she waited for a response. Kamino was expecting her, however, she figured they hadn't been expecting her ship.

The Jedi woman in the cockpit chair was very young. Often, most mistook her for a mere Knight still, rather than a full-fledged Jedi Master. Her proficiency wasn't even as a Knight, it was as a Shadow. Knights were typically the kind of Jedi who fought in the open-battle grounds against the separatists, whereas Shadows, a sect of Jedi Consulars, fought their enemies from the darkness. A Jedi Shadow protected the Order, discovered lost knowledge, and hunted. They were not like the Sith Assassins though, for the Jedi Code still governed their ways. But in a way, a Jedi Shadow was akin to a spy-- and no matter how powerful a Jedi Shadow was, typically they would stick to laying low and searching. Waiting. Watching.

The last time she herself had fought in an open battle-ground was a few years back, when she was still a padawan. In the young woman's mind, it was a few years far too long. She had her fair share of tough fights, but there was nothing like a full-on battle. Though it wasn't Jedi-like of her, she found she missed the action.

Come to think of it, few things were Jedi-like about her.

Suddenly, R8 beeped and chirped profusely.

"A transmission? Put it through." Static crackled for a moment, but then the voice of a clone came through.

"Unauthorized vessel, identify yourself. Over."

Pressing the com button, she replied, "This is Jedi Master Jaina Vaas.  Identification code 33074, flying YT-1760 Light Freighter code-named "Striker". I've been sent directly from the Council to observe the Final Tests. Over." Taking her hand away from the console, she waited for the response.

A moment then-- "Are you the only one aboard?"

"Just me and my droid."

More static occurred as she waited. She had no doubt they were scanning her ship to ensure what she spoke was true.