Chapter 2

I forgot to mention in the earlier author’s note that I am trying to differentiate this vampire story from the others. There will not be any Mates, in the typical sense. There are a few concepts from other genres that I will be incorporating into this story because I think it’ll bring an interesting twist.

Some of you might think it’s strange, but I’m hoping most of you will think it’s refreshingly different. 

I know that sounds ambiguous. You all will see what I mean within the next couple of uploads.

This is NOT YET edited, please point out mistakes that are distracting.

 ---

---

2.

All I could do was sit in stunned contemplation.

Part of me wondered if that had all been a dream. I had been sorely lacking in male companionship my entire life, after all, so perhaps this was some fantasy my desperate brain came up with in the last stages of my life.

Unfortunately, the logical side of me knew I could never dream up male specimens as handsome as those. I wasn’t quite that imaginative.

And on top of that, I could still sense their lingering presence in the room, a light chill hovering in the air. I felt unsettled by the unusual encounter.

Hesitantly, I turned to observe the vial sitting next to me. I knew I should probably just smash it on the ground and tell the nurse I had some sort of accident. My rational brain wanted nothing to do with whatever the hell was going on here.

But I’d always had a burning, gnawing curiosity deep within me. It was what drove my appetite for reading. Even now there was a stack of books by my bedside. It was this impulsive, rash side of me that made me reach out, open the drawer in my nightstand, and place the vial inside near the back of the drawer where nobody would likely find it.

Just in case I got delusional and decided to drink what looked suspiciously like blood.

As soon as I shut the drawer the door to my room opened and my family bustled back inside, concern evident on my father’s features. I knew he was about to grill me about the strangers; he’d probably nearly had a heart attack when he saw them. Judging my Carla’s expression, she was the only one holding him back from busting in the room sooner.

Attempting to push the strange, beautiful men out of my thoughts, I quickly tried to come up with a series of lies to tell my family. I hated lying, but there was no chance in hell I would tell them the truth about what happened. I still couldn’t believe it myself.

But even as I spent the rest of the night just hanging out with my parents and Brentley, my parents trying their hardest to cheer me up and even watching Finding Nemo with me on the tiny TV, I could not push Kaz and Adam out of my mind.

What was in the vial?

---

It was an entire day before I decided to get the vial out again. My family was out at dinner and I knew the nurses wouldn’t disturb me unless I had another coughing fit, so I was alone for now. I aimlessly turned on HGTV, listening to potential homeowners prattle on in the background as I tentatively opened the drawer.