Coltrane and Noelle

Coltrane Maverick was too good for this world. He believed that every cloud had a silver lining and he didn't care whether the glass was half empty or half full— he was simply glad that he had something to drink. Socially anxious Noelle Cavelli was a little messed up, hunted by the ghost of her past. The nightmares possessed her, to the extent that she could not live in the present.

When Coltrane approached Noelle at the school's cafeteria, she was sitting all by herself with music blasting through her headphones. The grim-faced brunette was trapped in her own world, which was familiar to her. Music was her only companion, used to fill the void spaces in her mind. When she snapped out of her trance, she realized that there was a boy sitting beside her, quietly polishing off his pizza slice. The first thing she noticed about him was his eyes. They were nothing like hers; his were full of life, joy and passion. Noelle didn't know what he was doing right there, sitting next to her. Didn't he get the wind of all the rumors circulating around about her?

Coltrane had heard how Noelle was; too put it kindly, a little weird. And Coltrane did not care. Thus, their fragile yet understanding friendship began. Noelle would be waiting for him during lunch hour, prepared with home-cooked meals. Sometimes they skipped lunch to treat Noelle's scars or listen to the songs from a mixtape Coltrane made for Noelle for her birthday. On a rainy day, they would hang out in Caffeinated, savoring cups of coffee while observing two tiny rain drops race their way down the window pane. Noelle attended every basketball games and cheered for Coltrane. The happy-go-lucky Coltrane, without him realizing it, slowly made his way inside Noelle's heart, breaking every wall she had built. He managed to chase rainbows.

Ever since Noelle met Coltrane, she was on cloud nine. She finally lived and her eyes began to shine the way they used to. She knew that Coltrane wasn't a fair weather friend; he was one she would be honored to have for an entire lifetime.

However, there were days when the fragility in their friendship was evident. Although Coltrane did not pry further when Noelle said they should take a rain check because she was feeling under the weather, it definitely put a strain on their relationship. On occasion, Coltrane would not show up on lunch, due to basketball practices or another activity he took part in.

Insecurity, combined with low self-esteem poisoned Noelle's thoughts, reminded her every time that she wouldn't be able to live with herself if she didn't let him go. Coltrane was like a bird, meant soar into the air, not confined in a birdcage. And Noelle realized that she was caging him, limiting him due to her weaknesses and flaws she couldn't seem to let go. It finally dawned on her that all she did was take; while Coltrane tirelessly gave. No matter how low others thought of her, Noelle couldn't accept the love she wasn't worthy of. Noelle knew that she was scarred and sometimes, one couldn't fix what was broken. Coltrane deserved better- someone who wasn't damaged. So she let him go.

Coltrane knew what he signed up for when he approached Noelle that day in the cafeteria. What he did not know, however, was it would hurt him like he felt after Noelle said those last words to him. Didn't she know that he loved her with all she was? He knew that her flaws were a part of her and he did not mind it.

Realization dawned on him a little too late, that to Noelle some are not wired to be loved, and others are not wired to love.