Chapter 8: A man of reluctance

"I need to see Kathleen," Liam shouted, a bit louder than Ang was comfortable with.

"Shhhhhh, quit it!" she hissed back.

"This room is not sound proof and I most certainly am not a girl of patience so just sit down and listen!"

Liam at first was astonished by her tone and the fact that she had just ordered a Count to do something, but after his original shock he sat down. He was a reasonable man, although a reluctant one, and he knew that they were still investigating a murder case. It would be of no help for him to disobey the head sleuth, as you might say.

"You'll see Kathleen just as soon as this case is solved. We can't risk you going any time before that...What do you think Davie?" Ang asked.

Davie looked up, surprised that she had even mentioned him.

"Well technically the Count wasn't even here when the murder happened and therefore can leave whenever he wants. But yes, I would advise against him going to see the Countess. Mostly for the sake of you retaining your alias," he answered.

Ang smiled and nodded, looking at the Count with renewed dignity.

"Now, you said we had your trust...Can we believe you?"

"Yes," Liam nodded.

"Prove it!"

Davie found this other side of 'Kathleen' amusing. Ang certainly was an expert actress. She went from being Kathleen to being Ang in a matter of seconds and you could tell. Kathleen was a lot less...Abrasive and pushy. Alright, Ang was not incredibly abrasive, she was still likable, but there was definitely a change.

"How?" Liam asked, voicing the obvious question.

"The General will come walking through that door when I call. You need to pretend that I'm Kathleen."

"And if I don't?"

Ang looked at Liam with steely eyes and said, "Then you won't ever see Kathleen again."

Davie nearly let out a gasp at her remark. That sounded a bit harsh even for the circumstances. He was not sure if Ang had crossed the line or not but he was certain that she at least stepped on it. 

The Count himself was taken aback by her threat and tried to see any sign that she was lying, but he couldn't. He could not tell if she were lying, playing a game, telling the truth, or if she was just downright insane. All options seemed possible but Ang had the definition of a poker face.

Liam looked from Ang to the door with reluctant eyes and ran one hand through his blond hair. Deep down Ang felt sorry for him and knew this was a hard choice. In fact, she almost felt guilty...But it was the only way to guarantee that he wouldn't go yacking off to the General. 

"Ang, I think-" Davie started but Ang quickly cut him off.

"Shut it Davie! Nobody asked you."

Davie immediately shut his mouth and took a step back, suddenly wanting Kathleen back instead of this infuriated American.

"Do you understand Count?" Ang asked Liam impatiently.

The Count nodded slowly and backed towards the door, never letting Ang out of his site. Then he fumbled for the door handle and left the room in a hurry, and for good reason. As soon as the door closed behind Liam Ang suddenly changed her angry expression and turned to Davie.

"Oh my gosh Davie and am SO sorry!" she blurted out, slumping down in a chair.

"Why did you do that?" Davie asked quietly.

He could tell Ang was feeling incredibly guilty and did not want to make it worse.

"It was the only way Davie. Do you think he wouldn't have told somebody about me if I just made him promise?"

"He might have."

"Might isn't good enough...Davie my cover is more important than anything right now. If I blow it England might lose the war."

Suddenly Davie smiled and sat down in the chair across from Ang.

"You didn't mean what you said, did you? About not letting the Count see Kathleen ever again."

Ang looked up at Davie with astonished eyes.

"Of course not! Are you kidding me? I'm not that mean."

"I don't know. You had me pretty convinced," Davie told her in all honesty.

"Acting is my job after all."

"In that case, you did a marvelous job!"

Ang smiled for a second but it quickly faded as she remembered the previous conversation.

"Oh great!" she blurted out.

"What?"

"Now I feel guilty."

Davie laughed inwardly. First she seemed to be a total nut job and now she was confessing about her guilt. What was it with her?

There was a long silence that stretched for several minutes, but it was quickly broken as William came through the big doors. And quickly stood up, alarmed by his sudden entrance.

"What is it?" she asked, immediately adopting her Irish accent once more.

"Its Lady Edith...She tried sneaking out of the mansion grounds."