CHAPTER 9

If you like The Four Points so far go to

www.jjmelvin.com

to sign up for the Full Book, The Four Points Chapters 1-28. Also get exciting updates on more books in The Four Points Saga.

SCHOOL CEMETERY

My third period class was situated on the other side of the school. My hopes of a quiet walk were shattered when I had to endure being called a fame whore and a drama queen. I had to listen to comments about how I planned the shooting so I could be famous, so I could be popular, so I could be rich. It was difficult for me to discern whether the remarks were spoken out loud or if my mind was penetrating the private thoughts of others. Every now and then I would look up from my downward gaze to see groups of students huddled together whispering. I chose to keep my head down for the rest of my walk until I arrived at the outdoor walkway, where jasmine flowers and bougainvillea covered the arches that peered into the quad.

The rain had stopped, and the sun had just started to shine through the dissipating cloudy sky. The air was infused with the smell of jasmine and rain. The awe-inspiring beams of light hitting the ground would have been beautiful had they not been beaming on an unholy place. The grass that once surrounded the quad was no longer there. It was now covered by cement, a memorial mounted in the middle of the quad where three people had lost their lives. The school tried to make the quad look different with fresh paint and new tables, but they couldn't hide its treacherous past. It would never be forgotten; I would never forget. How could I forget that the first boy I liked killed three people and shot himself inches from my face, turning me in to an unwanted celebrity, a household name? Erika Martin—forever known to some as the girl who saved Riverton, to others as the girl who got away with murder.

As I stood there staring at the memorial, the catalyst for my new life, I gave in to the what-ifs that plagued my mind. What if I had asked Robert why he wanted me to stay away from the quad? Could I have prevented all of this? I felt a hand on my shoulder and jumped as the figure came up from behind me. As I turned around, my eyes met those of a man who used to emanate a wondrous glow. I waited for that energy to appear again, but it never did.

"Erika, I didn't mean to startle you." Mr. Lapinsky stood next to me sharing the scenery that lay before us. We allowed a few minutes of silence between us before he spoke again. "It's not good to dwell on the past. Come, let's get to class. I'll walk with you, if that's okay?"

My smile was my silent answer. Mr. Lapinsky smiled back. It was obvious that it took energy for both of us to make our mouths move into an upturned U shape. We walked silently together.

Mr. Lapinsky taught his class, but it was different... he was different. That charismatic teacher, the promise of a fun class... both were gone. He had been replaced by a man who was much like me, a man trying to make it through each day.

The loudspeaker interrupted Mr. Lapinsky. "Erika Martin, please report to Mrs. Wong's office. Erika Martin, please report to Mrs. Wong's office."

"I guess you're wanted, Erika," Mr. Lapinsky was smiling as he looked sympathetically into my eyes.

"Murderer!" someone yelled as I walked out.

I heard Mr. Lapinsky screaming at the class, challenging the person who made the remark to show himself. I walked away. I didn't need to hear any more.

I knocked on Mrs. Wong's door.

"Come in," her voice commanded.

When I opened the door I was surprised to be greeted by Liam and Mr. Blithe. I had intentionally been blocking Liam from my brain, but as I looked at him I realized that was impossible. Excitement filled every inch of my body. I blushed as our eyes made contact. I was trying to be cautious, but I knew it was useless. I didn't trust my judgment. I had been wrong about Robert, was I wrong to feel the way I did about the handsome young man that stood before me now? I knew he believed in fairy tales and magic, but... was he crazy? Was he dangerous? He intrigued and scared me at the same time.