smoke grey

(Okay so im reuploading this bc Wattpad is dumb and so am I)

Basically what happened is that I uploaded this privatly and only one person saw it,, Idk how but ye

The bar was musky and full of cigarette smoke. Mike and I sat in a booth towards the back away from everyone else. It was Friday and Dan had said he would come. He said he'd be here thirty minutes ago.

"This is usual for him." Mike smiles into his beer, "I fucking hate that guy." But what he says is different from what he means. Mike has spent his whole career helping Dan get his business on the way. He's invested far more than money and time into him.

Being around Dan has been such an awaking experience for me. He got what he wanted in life, everything he could have asked for, but yet he's still unhappy. It really saddens me. He's so talented, he deserves everything. But beyond talent, he's a good guy. Or that's what Mike has told me. I'm just happy this has happened to me.

I should not have been the person they hired. I don't have the experience of such a high end job. Mike just took a liking to me. So many people deserve to be here, many more than I do.

A familiar figure appears in front of the table interrupting my thoughts. He gives me a small nod and sits down next to Mike laying down a binder full of scribbled notes and photos.

"My meeting with Gambler went a bit longer than I thought," Dan mumbles and takes out a pen. He twiddles with it for a bit and it feels like I'm watching a movie play out in front of me.

The smell of smoke and alcohol are prominent in the air. Dan is hunched over his binder deep in thought. The end of his pen pushing up his lip slightly, his cheeks rosy from the crisp air outside. his wild hair his pushed behind his ears and sits atop his head in a curly mess. Next to him sits Mike who looks just about as in love as a straight guy could be with his best friend. He watches what Dan writes intently mumbling an approving word every so often. My eyes focus back to the way Dan's left hand smudges over the ink as he writes.

"What do you think?" Dan suddenly asks.

I realize I was daydreaming again and blush a bit, "Uh, about what?" His eyes are drawn into mine and I feel giddy at the idea of it. I squirm in my seat a bit uncomfortable.

Mike leans forward, "I think that Gambler would be better off releasing a pop song to get them on the charts. You know, to grab more attention. Dan argued that it isn't their style and that they should d-"

"They should do what they do best. Which is punk." Dan rips his eyes away from mine and I feel myself relax in my seat, "If it isn't authentic than it isn't right."

"If they do one non-authentic song more people will hear about them and they'll gain more audience," Mike says in a tone that suggests he knows best.

"Then the new audience will see them for something they're not. I won't allow it." Dan crosses his arms over his chest.

"You're so stubborn. Phil, back me up on this one." Now they're both staring at me like my opinion matters.

"I-I- Don't know." I place my hands on my bottle to stop them from shaking. It doesn't matter how long I've been working for them. I still get nervous.

I focus my eyes to Dan's brown ones that seem deeper than ever before in this dimly lit bar, "Sure you do. Just say it. You won't hurt Mikes feelings too much."

Mike laughs as a response and I cherish the moment all attention isn't on me, "I think that- um." I let my words draw out for a moment, "Maybe if they're meant to be popular they will be. I don't know. If the pop song ends up sucking then they'll just look like fakers. I don't know."