Chapter Twelve

Mark's pov

Of all things I expected her to say, this was not one of them. I felt like a complete idiot at that moment, I mean come on. I accused the girl of killing her parents when I had no idea what really happened. I couldn't make out a simple word because of how shocked I was. But even though she told me what happened, there was still unanswered questions that kept wracking my brain continuously. Agnes was now standing in the middle of the room with her hands pressed to her face, sobbing quietly but there was that one question I had to find out about,

"W-why didn't you tell anyone?" she didn't say anything for a while until she slowly remove her hand to show me her face that was soaked in tears.

"I did." Confusion seemed to be a thing that was getting the best of me. Everything she said made me more confused.

"So why are you here then?" now she was the one to shoot me a confused expression.

"You really think anybody would believe an eight-year old. The proof that I killed them was staring everybody in the face. About ten police officers saw it and they used it against me. I had nothing. My family is dead and no one believes I didn't do it. I live through that... everyday... of my life. No one believes me." she said resting her hands against her face again. So that was it. That was what she kept from me. It's sad, you know. How life could be so cruel that it allows death to hit certain people without warning. Nobody really knows who will die next or what will your last words be to the person. Some people are lucky enough to tell the person how much they love them before they die but Agnes didn't have that luck. She didn't have any to be honest. Her last words to her parents was that she hated them and that was it. she never knew they would've been killed right in their own house. She thought they would've been there forever but she was wrong. Nobody really knows when they'll die because like I said, death hits you without warning but people, ready or not, happy or not, it's just what you call life.

I made my way slowly towards Agnes, proud of myself for not being scared because I had that feeling whereby you know someone is being honest with you, I had a feeling that Agnes was being honest with me which made me run my hands over her hands which were covering her face and forced her to look at me. When she was practically staring into my eyes, I told her the words that I really meant and up to this day never regret, "I believe you." She stared at me with wide eyes and a hopeful expression looking deep into each eye trying to see if I was lying or not. When she was convinced enough, before I got to comprehend anything she wrapped her arms around my stomach and buried her head deep into my chest while crying. She caught me off guard at first but I soon after relaxed rested my head on top of hers while she cried her eyes out.

............................................

I listened to her soft yet calm breathing as she slept peacefully right next to me. After Agnes finished crying she eventually fell asleep while standing up which was quite weird because I never heard of anyone sleeping while standing. My plan was to put her on the bed and head for Charles but she woke up and asked me to stay with her and I couldn't refuse so tried to fit myself on the small bed but I guess she needed something to hug because she ended up with her head on top of my right arm above my elbow and her pressed to my side with her right arm over my stomach. I took that time to stare at Agnes or honestly, admire her. She was beautiful so you couldn't necessarily blame me but as I took my index finger of my left arm and ran it along the edges of her face until I reached at her lips and stopped. The thought of kissing her went through my mind but I stopped it from going any further. She was a patient and I was her psychiatrist. It just didn't add up at the time or maybe it was the fact that I've been single since my wife died and I just wasn't ready to start another relationship. I haven't necessarily moved on as you would put it. I lifted my left hand to see the Rolex my mother bought for me on my birthday. The time on the watch showed 09:02pm. I guess I was there with her longer than I thought. I rose slightly trying not to wake up Agnes with my clumsiness but she didn't seem to be waking up so I slowly slid my hand from under her neck thinking it would have woken her up but all she did was turn towards the wall, still sleeping. I got up and silently walked to the door trying not to make any noise and slid my card over the scanner-thingy, the door opening in the process. I quickly slid out the room and closed the door behind me hearing it buzz to indicate that it was locked.

Instead of making my way to the exit to go home, I made my way to Charles office knowing he would be there. I ignored the creepy feeling that I had as I walked along the silent hallways with nothing but about 5 bulbs shining along the long hallways so parts of it was dark but I didn't care. I was on the road to kill. Just kidding, but I was upset. Agnes didn't kill her parents so that meant she spent her entire life here for no reason. That upset me because she doesn't know what was outside the walls of the Red Oak Mental Institute. I reached the office and went in without knocking which I guess kind of surprised Charles which made him stop what he was doing and stare at me in confusion.

"What are you still doin-"

"What kind of a sick place is this?" I said refusing to let him finish his sentence.

"I beg your pardon."

"How could you not know Agnes didn't kill her parents." He sighed, putting down the paper that was in his hands and got up, walking around his desk until he was in front of me.

" Because she did."

"No. She didn't. I know she didn't. I usually know when someone is lying and Agnes isn't.

"Why? Because she cried? Look Mark, Agnes is what you call a snake. She can never be trusted. She will play with your mind and get you to believe everything she says until you're trapped in her web and she captures you."

"Will you just stop?! It wasn't Agnes!" I was practically shouting at him for no apparent reason.

"Keep your voice down. We have patients that get agitated quickly."

"I don't care. Agnes should not be here. Charles you have to listen to me. Please." He lowered his head and folded his arms at his chest.

"Even if tried it wouldn't work. The fact that she killed a cook, stabbed a cook and tried to kill you basically proves that she's crazy so there's really nothing I could do."

"The only reason she acts like that is because she has been trapped in that god-awful room for what? Being accused of something she didn't do?"

"I'm sorry. Believe me, I am." I huffed and looked away from him onto his desk to see a picture on his desk that pressured me to ask the question I wanted to ask for quite a while,

"She's your sister, isn't she?"

I know haven't updated in a while and I'm sorry! I've just been busy with school and homework and I guess I got carried away.

But don't worry, school will be closing soon and I will be updating like crazy!!! BTW, PRINCE HARRY IS IN GUYANA!!! CAN YOU BELIEVE IT!!! IT'S SOOO COOL!!! People are going crazy and by people I mean ME!

Don't forget to:

VOTE

COMMENT

xoxo, Penny