Prologue

R'zya raced through the streets, her face upturned to the skies. They were currently boiling gray. The air was tense with the premonition of rain.

But she wasn't paying attention to the rain. Her gaze was reserved for the arrowhead-shape of a group of wyverns. They were dipping down, landing in the square . . .

R'zya finally reached the end of the alley and paused for breath, leaning against the corner of a building.

Her head snapped up as wind from the wyvern's wings buffeted her, whipping her chocolate brown curls across her chocolate-brown face.

She strained her eyes to take in all of it as thunder cracked. The pale green with darker green patterns and neck frill of the poison wyvern. The burnished tan, scarlet wings, and acrid, smoky breath of the fire wyvern.

And the crackling midnight black lightning wyvern, with violet lightning-like stripes on its wings and navy blue spines down its back.

Fascinated, she watched as one of the Wyris dismounted and spoke with the Colony Ruler. After a few moments of rapid conversation, the Wyri returned to her wyvern and climbed on its back. Rain dappled her face with glistening drops, but she barely noticed.

Then all three wyverns spread their wings in unison and took off, rocketing into the sky.

R'zya stared at the spot where they had been, ignoring even the miracle of rain in the desert.

She would ride a lightning wyvern.

Whatever it takes.