SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT: The Kissing Booth Movie on Netflix!

I realise not all of you guys follow me on Twitter or see the messages I send via Wattpad, so this seemed like the best way to let you all know!

I'm finally able to share some exciting news with you all!

My first published novel, The Kissing Booth, is going to be a Netflix movie!

I'll explain everything so far in this post, don't you worry!

The Kissing Booth was first published by Random House (as an ebook in December 2012, and paperback in April 2013) as part of a three book contract I signed with them around November 2012

Some of you guys might remember when I was first uploading this book. Some of you will have read the original draft I posted right here on Wattpad. Some of you will have voted for it in the 2011 Most Popular Teen Fiction Watty Award.

To you guys: Thank you. Without your support, I would never be where I am now. And The Kissing Booth wouldn't be set to become a Netflix movie!

The book accumulated over 19.2 million reads (before I had to take most of it down for it to be published), and its popularity here on Wattpad was what caught the eye of a commissioning editor at Random House and earned me a publishing deal.

Not long after I signed the book deal with Random House, we signed the movie rights to a UK (and LA!) based production company called Komixx. They've been absolutely brilliant for the last four-ish years in not giving up on the movie. 

Back around 2014/15, Komixx signed on scriptwriter Vince Marcello to pen the movie of my book. I adored the first draft of the script (haven't seen the latest version yet but I know I won't be disappointed! Vince did such a great job with the first draft!). He's also written Disney's Teen Beach Movie (which I thought was fantastic, to be frank).

And that was all the news I could tell you guys...

UNTIL NOW!

Now, I'm finally able to shout from the rooftops (or, you know, the internet) that Netflix are going to be involved with making The Kissing Booth into a movie!

Yup. It's going to be a NETFLIX MOVIE. MY BOOK. How crazy is that?!

To address all your likely questions...

I don't have a lot of info right now about casting, so you guys will have to be patient until Netflix and Komixx want to announce things! But I'd love to hear who you'd like to see act in the movie (just out of curiosity) so comment and let me know!

I don't know when they'll start filming yet.

I also don't know when they plan to release the movie. I don't know when they're hoping to have it up on Netflix. Not even the YEAR. Be patient please my lovely readers.

I'm hoping I'll be able to go out and see some of the filming, when it starts, but I guess this also kind of depends on my job? Because I have an actual adult job now? So yeah.

Also (because people have asked me this already) I have exactly zero plans to act in my movie. I am not an actress. I mean, if I get to go to set, I'd like a cameo appearance, if that's something I can do, but I'm not exactly going to be asking for a speaking part, or anything. (Seriously, you guys do not want to see me try to act.)

If you don't have Netflix and you're sad you won't be able to watch the movie, don't worry. Netflix Originals also come out on DVD so I don't see why The Kissing Booth wouldn't be available on DVD! It just probably won't be available outside of Netflix for a while because, you know, that's how these things go. Or you can find a friend who has Netflix when the movie is released and have some kind of TKB movie party!

As far as I know, it won't be in cinemas, because that's not what Netflix seem to do.

Literally right now, the only information I have to share with you is that Netflix are going to be part of making my movie, Vince Marcello is writing it, and Komixx are producing it. Which is crazy exciting!!!! I'm really grateful to the team there and especially to the guys at Komixx for making this a reality. I'm grateful to you, my readers, and I'm grateful to my original editor Lauren for finding me.

I still can't believe this is happening, even as I'm writing this post. It's so bizarre.

So you can purchase the full published copy of The Kissing Booth on Amazon, in paperback and ebook. It's also in most bookstores (if it's not in stock or online, you can usually ask and they'll order it in for you) and available pretty much worldwide, I think? There are some foreign language editions including in Turkish, Hungarian, Greek and Spanish. If you search where you usually buy books, you should be able to track a copy down if you don't have one already! (Or, you know, you could buy my other novels Rolling Dice, Out of Tune, and Cwtch Me If You Can, if you're looking for more to read...)

I probably won't keep updating within the story here with any more news, but I'll send out messages via Wattpad, and please make sure to follow me across social media (especially my blog, authorbethreekles.tumblr.com, in the link, and Reekles on Twitter) for any and all updates I have to share on the movie! I'm also uploading a couple of vlogs about the movie and to say thank you (find me on YouTube as Beth Reekles).

I'm going to be using the hashtag #TKBmovie for anything about the movie, so feel free to join in on that!). I'll also be sharing things about it on my Instagram so make sure to follow me there too (authorbethreekles).

There was a time when I was posting The Kissing Booth here on Wattpad back in 2011 and people would comment that they could see it as a movie, or that I should make a movie of it, or things like that. I read them and thought, 'LOL yeah right okay, that's nice, but it's never going to happen.'

Never say never, I guess?

If you have any other pressing questions or things you're hoping for in the movie, comment or Tweet me and let me know! 

And, one last time - thanks, everyone

xo