Ned Veigler's Memory

Ned Veigler awoke in the observation room in the laboratory, his shoulder freshly bandaged.

He shook as he sat up.

He couldn't recall how he'd gotten there. Last he remembered, he'd fallen at the feet of Newt Scamander as he transformed, directly beside Fenrir Greyback... He'd never dreamed, as he lost his consciousness then, that he would wake up from this full moon.

He pushed himself to his feet - very shakily, clutching his head. He tried to remember... tried to pull memories from the recesses of his brain... but none would come. Carefully, he unlocked the door and stepped out to find Newt.

There were children everywhere. He looked around in confusion. There were children sleeping all over the floor, in little piles together, and apart, on the stairs, laying over rocks. One little boy was sleeping as Dougal the demiguise, in his visible form, sat holding him carefully and staring around at the others. Ned picked his way carefully across the floor, making sure not to step on any little hands or toes...

He found Newt in a chair beside the operation table. In his lap was the small boy they'd had with them the night before when Ned had seen them last. The boy's blonde hair fell over his forehead in a soft wave and he was asleep, his hand clutching Newt Scamander's blood-stained vest. Newt himself was a mess and very pale. Blood on his face, dried, and his eyes unfocused, staring at Tina, his hands shaking as he clutched her hand. Ned realized, then, that Tina was laying on the table, a horribly sodden bandage across her chest - sopping with blood - her face pale - even paler than Newt's.

"No - is she --" Ned hurried into the room, panic rising up in him.

"She's alive," Newt said, his voice a monotone from exhaustion.

Ned hurried to her side, "What happened?"

Newt's eyes stayed unfocused. "A lot." Then, before Ned could ask anything more, "We need to - to go to Hogwarts," he said.

"Ok." Ned noded. "Ok. Where are we now?" he looked up at the lid of the suitcase.

"Exactly where we were." Newt replied, "Unless they moved us."

Ned felt sick. "Is Greyback out there?"

"I don't know." Newt squeezed Tina's fingers, "I haven't looked." He paused. "I'm... I'm very dizzy, really, I've... I've given her quite a bit of - of blood."

Ned nodded and he went to the ladder, though his bones still ached from the transformation. He climbed up and pushed the lid open and found they were alone in the trees. "They've gone," he said.

Newt looked up at him.

Ned hesitated, "I'll get us to Hogwarts," he said, and he climbed out of the case.

Newt closed his eyes as the lid of the case shut. Then Tina's fingers flexed around his and he looked down at her. The rush of air from the opening of the briefcase had woken her and she stirred. "Teeny? Love?" he whispered.

"Was that... Ned?"

"He's outside, love."

"He's... he's ok?"

"Y-Yes," Newt answered.

"I'm not... mad... at him... tell him... tell him I'm not... cross," she begged.

"I will, love," Newt answered.

She closed her eyes again.

Newt looked about the room at the forms of all the children and he glanced down at Bradley, who lay sleeping on his chest, his little face back to being a boys' instead of the wolf pup he'd been all night. Newt ran a palm over his hair softly.