XIV. UNEXPECTED FRIENDSHIPS

CHAPTER FOURTEEN:

CHAPTER FOURTEEN:

UNEXPECTED FRIENDSHIPS

(TRIGGER WARNING: THE FIRST SECTION OF THIS CHAPTER CONTAINS ABUSE. IF YOU ARE UNCOMFORTABLE WITH THIS, FEEL FREE TO SKIP TO THE NEXT SECTION)

   ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪   

      Nova felt cold. There was a kind of frost over her bones, slowly working its way through her tissue, through her veins, and to the heart. She stood at the opposite end of the room, staring blankly ahead as her father spoke in hushed tones, quiet enough for Nova to not hear but loud enough to let Nova know he didn't care if she heard what he was saying.

      Theo was standing next to him, looking the part of the dutiful son, but Nova could see the terror in his eyes. This was different than just discussing things with Lucius Malfoy, when talk of Theo joining their cause was just talk. As Nova stared at the familiar dark-haired man standing next to her brother, she wished for nothing more than the chance to Apparate. She'd grab Theo and the two of them would go somewhere, far away from their father and Nova's Potions professor.

      Snape hadn't acknowledged her in the twenty minutes he'd been discussing things with Nova's father. He'd hardly acknowledged Theo, save for the occasional glance when Nova's father continued to ask over and over again when Theo could join, but he hadn't given Nova the same courtesy. Which was why she'd been standing next to the wall that served as the entrance to the kitchen as the three discussed Theo's future.

      He doesn't have a future, she wanted to scream. Not if you make him go through with this

      "Edgar," Snape said with an edge of annoyance, like Nova's father wasn't listening to anything Snape was saying. "The Dark Lord had told you. The time will come. For now, Theodore is not needed."

      "I was promised," her father said in a voice she'd never heard leave his lips. He sounded desperate. "I was promised, Severus. After Elizabeth, I was promised that Theodore -"

      "And he will," Snape interrupted, his eyes narrowing. If Nova had thought Snape was no-nonsense in his Potions classroom, it was nothing compared to the strict and harsh lines of his eyes now as they finally turned to stare at Theo. Nova could feel the iciness of the glare from across the room, and even she couldn't help the helpless shudder than ran through her. "You need to learn patience, Edgar," Snape said, returning his gaze to Nova's father. "Your children have. Why can't you?"

      The insult seemed to sting just where it was supposed to. Nova saw her father recoil, like Snape had taken a white hot iron and pressed it against his skin. Before he could reply, however, Snape finally turned his gaze onto Nova.

      She didn't understand the black flurry of emotion she saw there, but she didn't like it. He was staring at her as if he had all her secrets figured out, unraveled in front of him. Nova tried to stand her ground underneath this stare, but found herself shuddering once more. Her Potions professor had a habit of doing that; he made everyone uncomfortable. With those parting words, Severus Snape Apparated away, out of the Nott manor and into the unknown destination of his choosing.