chapter iv

She could recognize him by his cologne. At the scent of him, she flashed a grin and looked up from the arrangement of petunias in front of her. He couldn't help but smirk as he leaned against the counter and waited for her to say his name.

"Victor," she said. The sound of her voice nearly made him sigh. Everything about him melted away. He wasn't a killer anymore, he was just Victor. "How are you?"

"Great," he said. "You?"

"I'm good," she replied. "I must say, I'm a little surprised to see you here."

He tilted his head. "Why is that?"

"Because the mayor's arrangement was picked up at eleven this morning by a new man," she explained.

"Well---"

"And I was informed by him, also, that you no longer worked for him," she finished, raising one eyebrow. He sighed. "So what are you here for, Victor?"

His jaw slacked open for a moment. She stood still, waiting for an answer from him. He settled for a long exhale of air and the soft drumming sound of his leather gloves against the counter top.

"I am here to ask if you will have a coffee with me," he said slowly, testing every word on his tongue.

"Oh." She stood up straight, genuine surprise creasing the skin on her forehead. "A coffee?"

"Or anything else you'd like," he said.

"You're asking me out?" she said.

"I... yes," he said.

She grinned. "All right. My lunch break started about two minutes ago, anyway. I'll get a coffee with you."

She walked around the counter with ease, beaming as if she was just given a million dollars. Victor felt completely entranced by her bright smile and her blushing cheeks. He walked alongside her and pushed the door open for her.

He walked in silence, something he was most comfortable with, until he felt a warm hand grab onto the crook of his arm. He looked at the girl with concern as he grasped onto him tightly.

"I don't want to make you uncomfortable," she said, a shy smile on her face, "but I can't get around as well outside as I can inside."

She swallowed and winced as a man with a cellphone pressed against his ear rammed into her shoulder. He walked by without an apology. Victor almost lurched forward and shot a bullet in the man's head, but he stopped himself. That wouldn't make for a good impression on the first date.

He grabbed her hand quickly and tucked her arm around his. She blushed as he placed his other hand on top of hers to hold her close. His lips pursed.

"Why don't you have a cane?" he asked.

"I do," she said. "But it's like I said a couple of weeks ago, with it, I suddenly am handicapped. Everyone treats me differently with a cane in my hand."

"I wouldn't," he told her, and she smiled.

He found the first café he could find. She ordered a small carmel latte, and he ordered a medium black coffee with a shot of espresso and vanilla. He chose a small table by the window, where ___ could enjoy the feeling of the sun on her face. She looked like she belonged there.