Chapter 1

Author's note: Hi guys I've been busy because of Christmas I hope you all understand. 2$ in 1925 (2016)=27.58$ and 5$=68.96$. Love you all and Happy Christmas (Eve) and soon New Year 2017! <3

I woke up and checked the time from my old pocket watch. It was 8am on December the 23th in 1925 (Almost Christmas!) I really wanted to sleep but I had too much to do today (Like say the old familiar mantra "I'm from the New Salem Philanthropic Society and I thought this might interest you" and distributing leaflets counts) Sometimes if I was lucky enough the conversation continued and we had a new face in our meetings. That was rare in these days though. I really wanted to get a real job since the only wage I got was food once of twise a day and a roof on top of my head. Ma would never let me though. I had asked her about it once and she refused to kick me out from her association to get a better job. (I don't know was it nice or mean from her but at least I could be with my family.) And it was better to not to open healing wounds.

I dressed up and walked down the stairs. Ma was reading a newspaper in the kitchen a cup of tea in her left hand as always. Chastity and Modesty were playing with their dolls together in the living room. "Morning" I said with a bit hoarse voice. She didn't even bat an eye. I cleared my throat. "So I guess uh I-" "You are buying us some groceries today since I'm busy. And here's a list since you're so hard-headed and forget things so easily!" I immediately stopped making an eye contact with her. It was hard to be modest but show some respect at the same time. "Here's two dollars. And don't forget to get back home on time!" "Yes, Ma." I was just putting on my shoes when she shouted "Oh, and Chastity has lost her shoe buckle somewhere. You should busy her a new one!" "Yes, Ma"

I closed the door, bowed down my head and took a deep breath. Every time I got out of that hell hole I was relieved. Sometimes I wondered did other people on my age still have to deal with their annoying mother. I really hoped other people didn't have to take this and I was happy it was me who got chosen into that family. I felt like I deserved it.

Only a couple of stores were open since it was only 8:20am. Chilling wind was crawling under my jacket from it's neckline. "I really should buy myself a scarf" I thought aloud. I took a deep breath. "Remember who you are. Do not look cocky. Do not look cocky. Do not-" "Hey you! Isn't it time to get a new haircut?!" I looked up kind of surprised. A man couple of years younger than me with a greasy fringe and gross teeth shouted at me. He laughed and walked past me. "Potty head" He tried to knock me over but I managed to keep my balance. I heard his friends laughing at me and he dissapeared in to the crowd. I guess he smelled the weakness out of me.

I walked through the dark alleyways of Second Salem and checked how many of the posters I had glued there were still on their place. Good. I walked away from the dark alley and checked my shopping list. "One shoe buckle" I headed to the cobbler's.

At the cobbler's I was just about to ask modestly for a one shoe buckle my head bowed down when I saw a man in dark fancy shoes in front of the counter talking to the cashier. I deduced that the man was about in his late thirties and wealthier than average. He smelled a bit like cologne, warmth and something what I couldn't name; home? Don't think further than that, didn't I teach you to not to sin? I heard my Ma mock me inside my head. I shook my head and tried to clear my thoughts.

There was all kinds of footwear on the shelves; small booties for the children, some high heels for the women and casual shoes for me. There was small boxes on the top of the shelves and dust was dancing on the spotlights of the shop and the air smelled like leather.

I almost fell asleep while standing but woke up when I heard "Alright, here's five dollars for the shoes" Five dollars?! I had to move my feet to keep balanced. I had seen that big amount of money on newspaper adds. I heard the cash register open. I raised my head. "Thank you!" The cashier exclaimed and smiled. I deduced that the mysterious man gave him a grin and nodded what seemed a bit forced. He turned aroud. He was about an inch taller than me and he had a blue scarf around his neck and a warm-looking jacket on his suit so I deduced he was a some kind of a journalist of a business man. He seemed to be in a hurry. He walked past me. I looked up.

I think I hadn't looked at a man on that way ever before. The man had a side buzz cut on the both sides of his head and dark, almost black hair and seducing brown eyes. I felt something funny in my stomach and a stupid grin spred on my face. I immediately looked at the worn out tips of my shoes and I felt my cheeks starting to burn. I noticed how he was smiling a bit when he saw me and opened the door and left. I took fright when the shop's bell jingled and the door slammed behind him. I saw the man walking away to the left confidently with a shoebox under his arm. A cold airwave woke me up from trance and the cobbler cleared his throat. "What are you looking for, young man?" He looked at me suspiciously. Had he seen everything? "Oh, one shoe buckle please." The cobbler smirked.