Chapter 1

*3 Months Ago*

"Come here," Colt says, taking my hand.

"What is it?" I ask, hesitant before following.

"Just trust me, you'll love it." He says, taking my hand, leading me somewhere into the darkness.

"But you know I have to get back to my campers." I say, worried.

"It'll only be for a couple of minutes, please." Colt is a senior counselor. I am still a junior counselor until next summer. He doesn't have a curfew, but I do. 8:00 so I can get back to my campers before bedtime.

"Okay..." I say, nervously giving in.

I hear the crickets chirping everywhere and all of the other sounds of a Tennessee summer.

Even though I had no idea where he was taking us, I felt safe holding his hand.

I finally see where he's taking us.

The moonlight reflects off of the lake, and we walk through the patch of woods to the boardwalk.

"Surprise!" He says, gesturing toward a plaid blanket and a picnic basket lain on the boardwalk.

"A picnic under the stars."

"Aw, Colt. You didn't h-"

"Shh." He says, cutting me off and sitting me down on the blanket.

"Let's just sit here and enjoy some of the rare moments we have alone together. I snuck us some snacks from the mess hall."

My eyes widen.

"Colt, why would you do that? I know that you're a senior counselor, but you could still get in a lot of trouble. You could get me in a lot of trouble."

"No, we won't. It's fine. Just let me show you."

He opens the picnic basket, pulling out a container of fresh pineapple and strawberries.

"My favorite." I say, not as mad at him.

"Got it just for you." He says, taking a piece and putting it in my mouth.

I chew it, and look up at the night sky, completely breath taken at how many more stars you can see out here in Southern Tennessee.

"Look how beautiful the sky is!" I exclaim, lying down on the blanket.

Colt lies down next to me, and I stare in awe.

"Not as beautiful as you."

Butterflies erupt in the pit of my stomach, and my breath hitches in my throat as I look over at Colt.

He looks down at my lips, and back up to me again.

I lean in, closing my eyes and preparing to kiss him.

Our lips almost collide, but we hear someone yell, and point their flashlight in our direction.

We quickly pull apart and sit up, turning around to see who it was.