Chapter 6: Lunch Time (or Punch Time?)

Emerson joined Jared, Eleanor and the Hexa Twins near the back of the group and waited out the rest of the Placement. Many heroes and many sidekicks walked off that stage until finally Coach Boomer announced the end of Power Placement.

"Alright you Freshmen, now that we got your Placement sorted out you will now head to lunch while we decide your class schedules". The Coach pointed out the doors and headed off with Porter.

The whole group walked out the doors, with Jared and his friends trailing behind once again. Once outside, Lavender Vitz was there to greet them.

"Right this way, Students, to the Cafeteria". She lead the way down the hall and a few confusing turns until they walked into a lunchroom full of upperclassmen. From end to end were tables each filled with more experienced heroes and sidekicks, needless to say it was intimidating. But what was scarier was the ancient high school ritual of picking a table. Each freshman grabbed a tray, got in line and tried to scope out a seat, some freshman made eye contact with older brothers or sisters for a seat, others turned to members of their same cliques, goths, jocks, geeks, and preps mostly welcomed there own kind. 

Jared decided he'd try sitting at a nearly empty table with Emerson and Eleanor. When he first sat down, though, he had a sinking fear that neither Emerson nor Eleanor would join him instead choosing to sit with the other heroes, the embarrassment and shame of that felt so real but the fear was proven groundless when Emerson and Eleanor arrived a minute or two later, Jared released a sigh of relief at the sight of them then felt a sharp intake when he noticed Maxwell and Lillian Hexa standing beside their table.

"Do you mind if we join you?" Maxwell asked smoothly with the smile that always seemed to linger on his face while Lillian looked away with a scowl mixed with embarrassment.

"Oh wow yes absolutely! I mean no, we don't mind. Please have a seat!" Eleanor answered before Emerson or Jared could react.

Jared could see Emerson make a face as Maxwell sat beside him but Jared couldn't help a small smile at the thought that on his first day he managed to sit between two beautiful girls (even if they were just new friends).
Then, as they each dug into their food, silence fell over the table, even in between bites no one said a word until Lillian finally spoke up.

"Well isn't this a stimulating conversation?" She said sarcastically.

"Sorry, Lillian, I'm just trying to get over the whole sidekick thing. Today is going worse than expected", replied Jared.

"Really? Because my day is just the best", interrupted Eleanor enthusiastically, "Not only did I make hero but I made 4 friends which is, like, a world record for me!"

They all stared at her with surprised looks on their faces and Eleanor's face turned red. Then a round of laughter came to the table.

"I probably shouldn't have said that out loud! Jeez, I'm such a spaz".

Jared quickly patted her shoulder softly, "Don't worry about it, El, before you guys sat down I only had this Bozo as a bud", pointing at Emerson who smiled and shook his head.

"Yeah, besides Lily and I pretty much only had each other for the longest time", said Maxwell.

"Yeah", chimed in Lillian.

"Thanks, Maxwell. Thanks, Lillian".

"Call me Max"

"Call me Lily"

Both Hexa Twins said in unison.

"Wow, ok, um do you guys do that a lot?"

"Do what?"

"Do what?"

Both Hexa Twins said in unison, this time with a small smile on both of them.

Emerson's face broke into a wide smile and laughter made a second appearance around the table. Soon the chatter didn't seem slow or forced, instead it flowed naturally, everyone began chiming about anything like Max's fear clowns, Emerson's belief in aliens or Jared's odd palindrome collection.

"So, wait, what do you collect?" asked Max.

"Palindromes. Words and phrases that are the same spelled backwards and forwards", answered Jared.

But before Max could ask anything further a commotion started at the other end of the table. A pale student with red, bushy hair had approached the guy quietly seated their and started arguing, yelling and making angered gestures. Emerson was the first to notice when things escalated, the Ginger suddenly grabbed Quiet guy by the shoulder and drew back his fist. The scene was like something from a movie, to Emerson things seemed to slow down but only for a heartbeat then the fist slammed into the Quiet guy's face and he fell out of his seat and sprawled all over the floor. Emerson jumped to his feet his eyes glowing dark blue as his power primed for action.

"Whoa there, Lazerguy", said Max with a hand on Emerson's shoulder, "Any powers outside the gym might end badly for your transcript".

"I can't just stand here and do nothing", Emerson replied as he closed his eyes.

"I never said we do nothing", he answered as he swiftly walked over to the two combatants, "Hey, Crimson Curls, why don't you just leave the guy alone and calm down, eh?"

"I don't need you help!" yelled the Quiet kid on the floor, only he was different. His skin had taken on the same sort of texture as the tiles on the floor, looking like a living statue he moved grabbing the Ginger by his collar and effortlessly tossing him 10 feet down the Cafeteria. This snatched everyone's attention, until now no one had much noticed but now it was a full on Super Fight.

Surprisingly the Ginger jumped back up unharmed and already walking back to the Quiet kid/Living Statue half way there the Quiet kid faded back to normal.

"Ha! Come on, Len, you know your toughness has an expiration date while mine keeps on going".

But before he was within striking distance Jared, Emerson and Max stood between the Ginger and the Quiet kid whose name is apparently Len with Lily and Eleanor slightly beside him forming a sort of pentagon of protection. The Ginger didn't slow down until he heard the loud and low voice boomed at all of them.

"Just what do you think you're doing, Mr. Thompson!" Shouted Principal Might.

At the severity of his voice the Ginger went still.

In a quieter but somehow even more menacing voice Principal Might repeated, "I said 'what are you doing', Scott?"

Scott Thompson's eyes widened and he threw up his finger pointing to the group surrounding Len.
"They started it!" He shouted.

Principal Might turned to us then back at Scott and finally spoke.
"I will escort you all to the Detention Room until I can know for sure what happened. Now march!"