Chapter 4

Noah Xander King. The future of the bloodstone pack. The bad boy of Ocean View high school. The shaggy brown hair, the piercing brown eyes and tan skin turn the heads of everyone. He gets the girls. The wrong girls. The problem isn't that he can't find his mate. It's that he doesn't want one.

~Noah

I pounded my head on my desk as I listened to my dad, go on and on about what it takes to be a good alpha. I just rolled my eyes. I had heard this speech a thousand times. He wanted me to quit partying and settle down with my mate.

"I get it dad." I said as I leaned back in my chair and gazed out at the ocean. The view was one of the main reasons why I chose this place to be my study. For some reason I loved the water, it was like I was drawn to it.

My dad looked down at me and rubbed his forehead,

"Son, I don't think you understand your responsibilities. You're 18 and an adult and still haven't found your mate. The pack is counting on you to provide and support them. It's been 3 years, when are you going to start looking for her?"

I looked my father dead in the eye and slowly said, "That's just it dad, I don't want one."

With one last cold stare at my father and the slam of a door. I aggressively walked out of my study. My thoughts were racing through my head. Who does my father think he is? I am the next Alpha. I will be stronger and more powerful than him. He can't tell me what I can and can't do. I DO NOT WANT A MATE. And I will never take one.

I could feel the heat rising in my body and my animalistic nature started to take over. The bones in my shoulder began popping into place and each groan of pain was slowly shifted into a grumbling growl. Once the shift was completed I ran and ran until I reached my private beach.

Years and years ago I was drawn to this tiny patch of heaven, I had been on a late night run when I heard this alluring sound that led me straight to here. Ever since it has just been my secret place, that I go to alone.

I jotted down to the water and glanced back at my mirroring reflection. My piercing brown eyes stared back at me while my jet black fur glistened in the sun.

I shifted back into my human form and stared at the water. My body began to tense up while a soft melody came from the water causing me to gaze at the ocean. I slowly moved deeper into the water trying to hear the voice sing louder. But as quick as it had started it stopped.

In a slow almost whisper I mumbled, "what the hell was that?"

Seconds later my iphone pings in my pocket scaring the absolute shit out of me. One glance at the message received, I am no longer worried about some stupid singing but rather how fast I can get to my house.

A small yellow convertible bug is parked outside my woodsy house. A big toothy smile spread across my face as I knew exactly what was waiting inside my bedroom for me. This is a perfect example of exactly why I will never have a mate. I had the perfect girl waiting for me inside my room. Alyssa. Or was it Emily? I get them confused. I put my arms around her tiny waist and whispered into her ear huskily,

"Hey babe wanna have some fun?" Already completely naked, she turns around and nods her head. And in one swift motion my clothes are on the ground too. Now this is why I don't need a mate.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~Serena

Melody stared at me with her bright blue eyes, with shellbags in her hands. After minutes of awkward silence she finally said, "I can't believe he actually said yes to me coming with you and us going to the mainland... it was actually my idea for you to go in the first place."

The extra smell of fish filled my nose while she spoke, but I ignored it while I merely nodded to her comment. I still was not too fond of being on speaking terms with Melody. However, after much consideration and the fact that we will be living together in unfamiliar territory I needed to trust her.

Overwhelmed and slightly stressed I mumbled,

"I'm going to take a breather ok?" I didn't even wait for a response before quickly swimming away, I swam faster and faster till I almost reached the surface, but I stopped myself before I could reach the top.

I waited near the top of the water trying to think of all of the adventurers me and my sister would have. The mainland was uncharted territory for almost all mermaids and mermen. Except for my great great grandmother, Ariel. When I was younger she told me about the mainland and some of her adventures. The way she described it was magical. The people were so neat and were so different from us. They had special brushes for hair and all these other trinkets.

My favorite part of her stories were the wolves, she said there were these giant beasts that roamed around the night that were half man and half wolf. We would spend hours upon hours together until one day she went to the mainland and never returned.

At the thought of my grandmother Ariel, I began singing a song she sang to me as a young girl called under the sea. I thought she loved it down here in the water, but apparently I was wrong.

A cold hand crept along my back. Startled, I turned around to see my father and Melody, each with a longing look of sadness.

Immediately my posture straight and I pulled out my inner queen, "I'm ready father, I will make you proud and stay safe. I promise." I was ready for a new chapter of my life to begin.

Slowly and silently we made our way up to the mainland. Approaching the unknown I looked back at my father, he raised his triton and in a swift motion transformed us all into humans. With another flick of his triton a small path appeared, into the depths of a nearby forest. With a small push and trembling legs we all followed it with the sound of the night surrounding us.