Masquerade

"Katherine, you are very quiet tonight," Jane Martin commented, hanging over her friend's shoulder. "Is there something you want to talk about?"

Smiling at her friend in the mirror's reflection, Katherine shook her head. Doing the young lady's hair, Anne let out a hiss of reproach. Holding perfectly still, Katherine answered, "I have a lot on my mind, Jane, but I assure you, I am fine."

"Well, you know we are here to listen whenever you need us," Michaela called out from the bed where she was sprawled out. Katherine remained silent. "Well, if you're not going to tell us, cheer up! We are going to a masked ball! Anything could happen!"

At her friend's exuberant claim, Katherine couldn't stop a secretive smile from crossing her face. "That is true, Michaela," she agreed. "You never know who might show up."

"I have a feeling there's something behind that statement," Jane said with a frown. "Honestly, Katherine, what are you thinking about?"

"There, Miss," Anne said, keeping the conversation from going any farther. She stepped away from her mistress. "You're ready."

Reaching across her dressing table, Katherine picked up her mask and tied it on. Scrambling off the bed, Michaela joined her cousin and friend at the mirror. "Don't we look great?" she asked enthusiastically. "I believe we three will have lords falling at our feet."

Katherine was dressed in a deep red gown that had lavish, tiered look to it. She also wore dark green gloves and a leaf shaped mask to finish out the effect of being a rose. Anne had somehow coaxed her straight brown hair into elegant curls, and had woven red roses into the young lady's hair. The young lady had to admit she had never looked more beautiful.

Blue eyes sparkling, Jane smiled at her reflection. She was dressed in white, offset with gold. A black, straight wig and gold mask completely changed her appearance. A gold crown and various pieces of jewelry finished the illusion of Queen Cleopatra. She held herself with the dignity of a queen.

The most extravagant, Michaela was going as a black swan. Her dress was jet-black and feathers of the same color waved in her hair. She finished her costume with black gloves and sparkling black mask.

"We do look wonderful," Jane commented. "No one will recognize any of us."

"That is the purpose of a masked ball," Katherine laughed, nodding her thanks at Anne. Pleased with her handiwork, the maid hurried out of the room. "Now, are we ready to go down? Or wait until there are several guests already to further mystify everyone?"

She paused as she saw the serious looks her friends were giving her in the mirror. "What's wrong?" she asked.

"Katherine, there is something we should tell you," Michaela admitted, her tone unusually serious. "Jane and I have been hearing some very disturbing rumors lately. And it has to do with how people are avoiding you this season. You have noticed, right?"

Frowning, Katherine turned to face them. "I have, but it is my third season here in Paris," she answered, thoughtfully. "I know I am considered to be on the shelf and assumed it was because of being half English. Why do you ask? What have you heard?"

"People are whispering that your father's family is insane," Jane said bluntly. She took her friend's hand as Katherine's eyes widened. "They know you are our friend, so we really had to be sneaky to learn this fact."

"So, we need to plot how to counter the gossip," Michaela announced, her eyes sparkling with mischief. Her smile faded at the look on Katherine's face. "Katherine?"

Taking a deep breath, Katherine shook her head. "How can we deny it if it just might be true?" she asked. "I appreciate what you two are trying to do for me, but I think it would be a waste of time."