MEETING MY GRANDFATHER

Damian Stones

I'm running in the white corridors in the speed of light. Passing every person in a blink of eye. Colliding to every nook and corner. I'm running like my life depends on it.

Exactly my life depends on it.

"Mr. Stones..................... In which ward???? " I'm panting hard now. Totally breathless. Sweat beads on my forehead.

" let me check sir, one minute" the receptionist in the white dress replied.

I took a minute to cool myself down. Its OK Damian, he will be alright, he is OK, he will not leave you.

"Room number 408 sir....top floor third room to the left" the receptionist finished in a breath.

Before my mind can register her words, my legs already began to run in the direction she told.

Huffing .....panting....breathless .....

I'm in front of the room number 408. I close my eyes to stop the tear which want to fall down.

No Damian, don't cry, he is not going anywhere.

I look down to my white shirt which is now partially sticking to my body like a second skin. Obviously, because I was running all around from the moment I got a call that my grandfather's got an heart attack and his situation is really critical.

No no I don't want to lose him.
Nooooo. Please god.

I open the door slightly only to witness my grandfather laying on the stretcher with machines all around him and my grandmother holding his hand tightly and weeping silently.
Some tears threaten to spill put but I blink my eyes several times to get rid of them.

I took a step closer to them and only by my slight movement they both open their eyes and looked at me.

Nooo..I'm not ready for this..

Please god! This is not the last time we are talking right......

Phewwww! I took deep breath and take some slow steps toward them. My grandmother gave me a small nod and told me to sit down. I sat on the stool and glance up at my grand father. He is smiling. But on the cue my tears began to spill out.

"Don't leave us please." I cried closing my eyes and resting my head on his hand.

" oh son!! I'm not leaving you. Really. I will always be watching you from up there. And I'm always with you two." He said still smiling on his own words.

" no. I'm taking you to another hospital. A better hospital. They will surely treat you well." I said looking up and wiping all my tears.

"No son! I know now its my time to go. I'm eighty now." He exclaimed.

"Yes!! You are only eighty now. Please don't go grandpaa... Please" I cried again

Don't go please......

"Take care of your grandma, son. Don't irritate her much, always eat on time and follow all her order, OK ???." he chipped.

"No you can't go like this." I cried.

"And I'm proud if you child, how easily you are handling all the business. You are doing it really well. We do your upbringing really well. Keep it up child.." my grandfather chipped smiling.

"No grandpaa. I still need you to lead me further in the business, your opinions. I really need you ... We need you. " I said looking up at my grandmother who is still crying silently. Her eyes totally red.

"No grandmaa. Don't cry, he is not going anywhere. God is just testing our patience. Grandpaa will be alright. Right grandpaa." I said looking at him with my eyes full of hope. Tears too. Because deep in my heart I know what is going to happen in the last.

Suddenly my grandfather began to cough loudly. Me and my grand mother panicked.

" grandpaa are you OK? Should I call the doctor.....DOCTOR!!! DOCTOR!!" I began to shout. I don't know what to do.

" no son!! There is no need to for that. Stop panicking you are 20 now not 10. I really appreciate how you are handling studies along with the business." And he began to cough again.

"No no no!!!! I need you . We need you, don't go." I hear my grandmother small whisper..

My heart break several times seeing her in this condition.

"I'm not going anywhere. I will always be there with you" he coughs again.

"DOCTOR!! DOCTOR!!" I shout again.

Soon two men in white coat and two nurse enter in the ward following them.

The men began to check my grandfather's heart rate and all. A nurse injected him and my grandmother winced.

Their love...

"Mr. Stones. Can you come out with us for a minute." The doctor asked.

I nodded and follow them out of the ward.

"Mr. Stones your grandfather's condition is really critical. His heart is very weak right now. We are doing our best but for a better surgery we need more amount. As he is a cancer patient too. It will cost really high. And if you change hospital they will also recommend you the same and even cost you more. So now decision is yours." The doctors chipped nodding at each other.

"H..how much it will cost??" I shuddered at my own question.

I know we are not that rich. We have a small family business in which we three spent our days and month ....happily..

"Its really huge amount ....I mean you know the treatment..." I cutter him off in between. " tell me the amount.." I said with full authority in my voice.

"Taking in mind all the machines and medicines with all treatment, its almost ....ummm.......eighty lakhs or so." The doctor chipped.

"I will manage that you start the treatment" I said with full determination in my voice.

They all nodded and continue to do their own work.

So big amount..

I sat down on a white chair glancing out of the window. Trying to think of any ways to arrange this huge amount of money.

Help us god!!!!

Vote guys ...........
Comments are welcome too..........