Chapter Twenty Four

"Absolutely not", Rhylan said to Lilly. "I won't let you do this. It isn't safe. Dorstrum is too close to the Southern kingdom. If you get captured or worse." He shook his head. "Let Colvin and Aeron figure out how to find the third book." Lilly was prepared to argue with him. She knew he wouldn't be talked into it so easily. She said, "I don't trust them anymore, all they do is tell me half-truths and hide the facts. Why didn't they show me the two books when you turned them over? They made you lie to me along with Ashley and William. They won't give me any information if they find the book. I need answers Rhylan and I am tired of being hunted. If I can beat this evil queen then I'd rater do it now than later." Rhylan shook his head and said, "No, I won't let you. This isn't the kind of quest you want to be on Lilly, most of it has to be on foot because of all the magic wards. You will spend days camping out and hiking thru tough terrain, not to mention it is winter right now. There are also rumors of dark and hideous creatures wandering the kingdom. It's too dangerous, even for me." Lilly grabbed his hands in hers and said, "I don't know how much more time we have together. Last night's dream made me realize we could be separated at any moment. I don't want to do this without you. I can't stand the thought of spending another day without you. Please, just go with me. I need you to be with me." Rhylan shook his head. The thought of her leaving again made his heart sting. He didn't want to be without her either but how could he let her go on this death mission? She would be safer with him, he knew that. But could he protect her from all the creatures that have been released into the kingdom?

Lilly said to Rhylan, "I'm doing this with or without you. If you decide not to come, it will break my heart but I would understand. But I would also ask that you not to tell Colvin and Aeron about my plans. Logan, Sam and Drexoste will be there to help me." Rhylan didn't like those odds. Drexoste was very powerful and could probably help with the evil creatures, but Logan was the only warrior in the group. "You would go without me? You would do that?" "Yes" was all Lilly said and she walked into her bedroom to get bathed and dressed. Rhylan started pacing the room while she bathed. He couldn't believe she would do something like this. She had no idea where she was going and he didn't see how Sam would be of any help. He had no magic and no fighting skills. Why would he allow her to do something like this? What an idiot he thought and he decided he needed to find Sam and change his mind about the deadly quest.

Sam was still sitting in the main hall talking with Ashley when Rhylan came upon them. Rhylan marched up to him and loomed over him with a vicious look in his eyes. Sam stood up immediately matching his posture and glare. Ashley saw the danger of the situation and tried to diffuse them but it didn't work. Rhylan pointed his finger at Sam's chest and said, "We need to talk. NOW." He motioned for them to head into the garden as Ashley tried to protest but Sam just grabbed her hand and said, "It will be fine. We will just have a chat." He followed Rhylan out the door and down the garden path. When they had disappeared out of sight Rhylan turned on him and shoved him hard. Sam flew back but didn't fall and rushed towards him fist in the air. He tackled Rhylan to the ground as they rolled around punching and growling at each other. Rhylan said thru the punches, "How could you let her go on a quest like this? Don't you know how deadly the Dorstrum kingdom is?" Sam grunted and said, "I agreed because she needs to get away from this place, away from you. She assured me we would be safe." Rhylan punched Sam so hard in the face it knocked him over and they both separated. Sam grabbed his chin and it felt like his jaw had been broken. They circled each other, breathing hard and bleeding. Rhylan started shaking his head. "I know you hate me Sam, and I also know you love Lilly. How could you agree to this? This quest will be a death trap for all of you. Don't you care about that at all? You have no clue what you are up against. I need you to talk her out of it. You need to keep her safe Sam, not put her in danger."