Tara Chambler- Hope (c)

You were only recently taught how to shoot a gun, and although you desperately wanted to help fight alongside your girlfriend, to protect the people of Alexandria, you weren't overly competent with a weapon.

For your first day actually being seen safe enough with a gun (although that was very arguable), you were stationed alongside Tara on the wall, to observe her actions and it also meant you could talk and spend much needed time with her.

"Just being stood here and seeing them down here makes you wonder how this could have happened. They were people, they had lives, they were normal like we were once, but now, look at them," Tara sighed looking down at the walkers.

"It was expected really. Since the dawn of time, when the population exceeded what the world or the direct vicinity could handle, something would occur to reduce that. A plague, a famine, or this. I'm not saying that is right, obviously, death is not a fate anyone should wish to experience, but it's inevitable, but no one wants to go that way," You stated.

She furrowed her eyebrows.

"But what if this never ends?" She frowned, "Everyone's dead. I can't imagine that many others are still alive, and I doubt we will for too much longer. We act as if this wall with protect us, but it's not enough for us to prosper and survive this."

You gave her a weak smile, resting a hand gently onto her shoulder in a comforting manner.

"I am not one to believe in fate. But if history tells us anything, the world isn't thrown anything that can't somehow be solved. It's a forcible evolution, it's weened out anyone that couldn't handle this world, and one day it will settle back. We'll grow as a species and hopefully get back the society we knew. But it wouldn't be a shame for the world to start over. Humans were on a high horse, they seemed invincible, and it's a reality check of sorts. We aren't top dog anymore," You shrugged.

Although anything you said couldn't truly be proven it made sense. If the human kind were meant to survive they would, but if they weren't, the earth would now be home to walkers instead.

"How can you say that? Nothing like this has ever happened. We are a food source to them, and it doesn't look like they are going to start farming us. Look at our group. Since I joined the group, most of us have died. Beth, Bob, Tyreese. What about them? My sister and niece were killed. We have no hope," She started in a 'matter of fact' tone.

You looped your arms around her neck, leaning up to peck her on the lips.

"There is always hope. People die. They always have, they always will and no matter what we are going to fight. We are going to try and be safe, we are going to try and be happy. It is hard but nothing worth doing is easy. If you didn't think we had hope of surviving, why would you be stood here protecting everyone? If there was no hope you'd lay down your gun and give up. But you are not a quitter," You smiled softly.

It took her a moment, before a smile appeared on her face.

"You know I love you right?" She whispered.

"I know. I love you too."

~*~

Written by Charlotte.