Knight Rider Fan Fiction: Michael Knight and Bonnie Barstow

• Dedicated to Glen A. Larson

Explores Michael Knight's proposal of marriage to Bonnie Barstow. 

Michael had decided a week ago that he would ask for Bonnie's hand in marriage, so he had gone to seek permission from Devon and Mr. Barstow.  Fortunately, both men gave him their blessings.

The ring-box sat tumbling between his fingers in the comfort of his black leather jacket as he nervously recited the lines he had prepared to KITT. 

"Michael?" KITT asked gently breaking the curly haired knight from his quirky ramblings.

Michael's blue eyes lifted intently as he returned, "Yes, KITT?"

"Might I suggest, that you tell Bonnie exactly how you feel about her? Instead of trying to robotically recite lines? I mean Bonnie might like it better if you were to make the proposal more personalized instead of generic," KITT replied.

Michael let out a sigh of frustration, running his hand smoothly through his dark curls. He sank a little lower in the seat and answered, "that's just it buddy. I don't know how to say, that I need and love her. It would be so much easier if she wasn't so...beautiful." His ego and confidence had melted into puddles of nothingness at the thought of someone else trying to compete for Bonnie's hand and winning. He'd be devastated, crushed, and he'd be left with an emptiness in his soul. Michael didn't want that at all. 

 KITT casually replied, "But Michael I don't understand. You talk to Bonnie all the time. So why is this question any different?"

Taking out the ring and examining it Michael answered, "because.... this question could potentially change the way Bonnie and I feel about each other, not to mention our lives. This one act can determine if I live the rest of my life a happily married man or spend the rest of my life alone." His tone rattled a little indicating the immensity of pressure he now shouldered. Pulling up to the bus station where Bonnie would be waiting for him, Michael re-pocketed the trinket.

 His blue eyes lit up catching sight of the brunette mechanic across the parking lot. "There she is... KITT." Michael stammered feeling his hands grow sweaty and beginning to tremble. 

KITT's red scanner whooshed excitedly from side to side as Bonnie headed in their direction. The AI noted, "I know that Michael. Here she comes!" 

The unsuspecting Bonnie rushed to greet her two co-workers with a grand smile written upon her face. "KITT! MICHAEL!" Her heels didn't prevent her from running to them with her arms flung wide open. Tossing her bag on the ground, she successfully wrapped her broad shouldered friend into a tight hug.

Bonnie excitedly cooed, "Michael! I've missed you so much."

Michael melted into her warm embrace laying his head gently upon her shoulder. He had missed her so much that the words almost clogged in his throat, "Bon... I missed..... yah so much. I am so glad you've returned home." 

Releasing him from the hug and taking a step back to look him over she cheerfully exclaimed,  "Look at you! You are looking great." 

He looked over the beautiful mechanic and he couldn't help but display the widest grin he could manage to fit upon his face. "And look at yah Bon. You're still as gorgeous as ever" Michael gushed feeling as though a blush were hidden somewhere deep within his chiseled cheeks.

Bonnie's face lit up as she picked up her bag and allowed Michael to escort her to the passenger door. Tenderly, Bonnie brushed KITT's dash.

Teasingly she announced,"' Hello, KITT. I've missed you. I'm impressed. KITT you look fantastic. I was worried I'd find a fender here and a bumper in Nevada. Are your systems in need of check?" She asked as Michael climbed into the driver's seat.

"A system check wouldn't hurt," KITT remarked casually, hoping that would earn him some time with the coveted Dr. Barstow.

Michael clicked his tongue and interjected before Bonnie could get any ideas of working on KITT right away. Turning his head ever so slightly towards the woman he said, "Bonnie, I begged Devon to make us reservations at one of those restaurants yah like so much."

Bonnie's face lit up...."you... you did? Michael? Why? I was only away for three weeks...." she stuttered in surprise. 

Michael shifted in his seat and focused on the road ahead, "I wanted to have a small welcome back dinner for you." He left out the true reasoning for it, because he wasn't ready to pop the question yet.

Moments later, Michael parked in front of the "reservation only" Italian Villa. Getting out and crossing around KITT's hood he politely opened the door for Bonnie. When she climbed out of the seat, he once more offered his strong arm to her and without hesitation she took it. 

The head waiter seated them in a cozy corner of the room where the view looked out over the sandy beaches and roaring ocean. The two coworkers nestled into their booth and they both attentively turned to their menus and then to each other.

The dinner passed with some small talk, chuckles, and giggles. When their meals had been finished and the check paid, Michael wrapped his arm tightly around Bonnie's shoulders.

"How about we take a small walk before  we return to the Foundation?" Michael asked feeling his heart rate beginning to soar.  

Truthfully, in all the excitement she had forgotten all about checking KITT's systems and she sweetly consented to the walk with a simple, "sure." 

Taking Bonnie's hand tightly within his own, he led her down a narrow stair way to the beach. When they had been walking a good ten minutes he suddenly took a knee and clasped both of her hands. Bonnie, not grasping the gist of the gesture, instinctively crouched down to help him up. Little did she know how unprepared she would be for Michael's next move.

"Dr. Barstow, I don't know how to say this.... but you mean the world to me. I realized that not having you in my life would be a terrible and insufferable mistake. So would yah... you know....consider becoming my wife?" Michael choked at first but the words just seem to keep rolling off of his tongue. He then free'd his hand to pull out the ring he had purchased for her and he held it out to her with a dazzling smile.

Bonnie flustered, flattered, and very much caught of guard stared at him in wild wide-eyed surprise. "I....." she began and then felt her face turning a nice shade of raspberry. She rocked to and fro softly on her toes for she felt as though a whirlwind had struck her at random.  "Wow.....Michael....I.... I ...don't know....what to say," she repeated feeling her heart trying to break free of her chest.

In response Michael and KITT (over the comlink) both answered, "please...say yes."

Bonnie giggled nervously and then with a championed grin she whispered, "yes". Then swallowing all the doubt rising in her throat she added more confidently, "Yes.....yes.... I will Michael". 

As Michael slipped the ring onto her finger he shouted happily, "did yah hear that KITT? DID YAH HEAR THAT? Miss Barstow is going to be mine! All mine." Then the curly haired agent took his brunette mechanic into his arms and twirled her around and kissed her. Bonnie couldn't have been more thrilled herself.  

A smile branded it's self upon her face knowing that she was finally about to turn the next page....to start a fresh new chapter life with her best friend, co-worker, and husband-to-be.