|| Memories ||

" Memories are funny things . Sometimes they are real,but other times they change into what we want them to be"

- Nicholas Sparks, Best of Me
-----------------------------------------------------------------

It was probably the ongoing season of Durga Puja when Maa broached the forbidden topic again and his name was mentioned again . I was making ladoo by myself in the kitchen, the flour was getting into my eyes when Maa entered with her list of Puja eateries.

" Uff! Arun ekdom akajer, kalke bolam ak  hari roshogolla antey ar shey hawa hoye gelo , puja shuru hotey ar dui din baki , ki kori bollo toh. "

The sound of pots and pans stirred me from my daze , from the corner of my eyes I watched Arun the cook emerge with two big pots of mothers favourite roshogolla .

Maa finally stopped pacing and glared at the cook before a satisfactory smile took over her face , she then turned to me . " Get dressed the Chakrobortys are coming in late afternoon and wear a decent saree".

This match-making happens every puja, last time it was with the Gupta's , I refuse every time and it irks my mothers nerve.

Every memory of mine is engraved with him . My first love . My Sujon. We met in highschool, we dated for a long time , we were engaged to be married. They found his dead body with a suicide note, it breaks my heart every time I think about it .

Although its been years ,to me it seems yesterday, my parents fear it has stopped me from giving another man  chance and settling down.

Its true when people say first love is something else and the loss of someone close can make you lose yourself .

I am drowning in my fears and sorrow, I have become numb from pain, tears and loneliness greets my very existence .

This is my story , I am Shayla Sen , a senior doctor of Cardiology at a reputed hospital mourning for my boyfriend .