Chapter One: Seeking Fate

Ron barked orders as he trained group one of the King's guard. This was how his days started, waking up early to train a different group of the King's guard. He was pretty used to it and it wasn't like he was missing out on sleep by having to wake up before dawn. The trainings actually saved him from his staring contest that he usually had with the ceiling while lying on his bed. He couldn't sleep at night and if he did, he always found himself waking up an hour later or less. The only time he relied on getting rest fully, was when he met Doctor Brown to give him some pills that would knock him out. But now after five years has passed, he was getting tired of the pills and he stopped taking those a month ago.

"Alright guys! Keep up the good work." Ron concluded the training and the guards left the training ground.

He sighed and slumped down on a bench as he let himself feel the effects of not sleeping in a weeks top, even for an hour. He placed his arm on his lap and then bent down to rest his head there, eyes closed shut. He was tired and exhausted which he kept well hidden from his alpha and best friend. He didn't want any pity because he got enough of those in the looks that were regularly cast on him in the previous five years. But now he wasn't sure how long he would hold on before he completely falls apart.

"Hey," a voice greeted and Ron looked up to offer a smile in greeting. "How was the training?" Kenneth or Kenny as that was what Ron called him, asked while sitting down beside him.

"It was okay like always." Ron replied with a shrug.

Kenny nodded and the two remained silent as each of them got lost in their own mind. Kenny was aware of his best friend's situation even though he pretended not to notice. He knew about his visits to the pack doctor, his sleepless nights and also the rare nights where he could find his friend crying himself to sleep. He didn't come forward to comfort him because he knew it wasn't his comfort that his friend was seeking. It was the comfort of a man that Ron had drove away in his mourning period for Nate.

"Do you think he.......you know," Ron shrugged and sighed, not knowing how to word his thoughts aloud for the first time in five years. He had been shutting his best friend out for years and this particular morning, he wanted to share his thoughts. Finally getting a grip on himself, he asked. "Do you think he might come back?"

Kenny didn't expect the question but he was aware that his friend was now reaching out to him.

"To be honest Ron; I don't think he will come back." Kenny replied. "But that means you shouldn't go seek him out." He quickly added when he saw the sad look on his friend.

"I've tried that, Kenny. I went to his family and asked of his whereabouts but they told me they didn't know where he was. He only sends them letters and postcards with no return address. I tried calling up Zach but he gave me the same answer. I've looked for him and even went as far as getting a private investigator, it is no use. He doesn't want me to find him." Ron murmured.

Ron had started his search after attending his best friend's mating ceremony. That was the first time he had truly wanted to see Charles again after the said guy had walked out of his life months ago. Seeing the pictures that displayed his friend's life with his mate worked like a push that he needed to discover just how much he was passing up a chance to experience that with his own mate. He decided to give it a try with Charles but the problem was that he was too late because Charles was already gone when Ron decided to taste the waters.

At first he was sure Charles would be coming back but then a year passed and Ron wasn't sure anymore. When the second year passed, he started to seriously reach out and look for Charles. Third year passed and that's when he told himself he didn't care, tried to forgot about the man and that's when the dreams that would wake him up in the middle of the night begun. Now five years had passed and he knew he would breakdown anytime. He blamed himself for making Charles leave even though somewhere deep inside him knew he had a reason to why he acted that way back then. But the blame had to be on someone and who was better blamed than him? Everyone sure believed he was to blame.