Prologue

There was a hint of frost lingering in the air. A crisp silence held the world in its dispassionate embrace. Two pairs of footsteps cut through the stillness, echoing off the stone walls of the alley and stirring the chilly air.

"By all accounts, it doesn't add up," declared the shorter figure as they rounded the corner. "How do you propose to explain the fact that he was in two places at once that night? You have the evidence of a very reliable man in direct contrast to your own."

"You have hit upon the exact problem, my dear Watson. And, I believe, the solution to it all as well." The taller man's voice was low and confident. He stooped to examine the cobblestones for a moment, then swept onward. "If I am not mistaken, we are about to find out who is responsible for the confusion of the last several days."

Watson sighed and followed his old friend. Their shadows elongated, then vanished into the darkness behind the building, where no streetlights stood guard.

Invisible above them, two smaller shapes lay flat on the roof of the building. The moon had slipped behind the clouds, leaving no light to fall on them from above.

The two forms shifted away from the edge. A whisper came out of the darkness. "They're on our trail."

"I knew he would be," was the murmured reply. "We've only a few minutes before he realizes."

"Is it time?"

"They had better show up soon."

"And then will you tell me why—"

"Shh!" One of the figures rose up suddenly, pulling the other along. There was a minute of hesitation, then a low whistle pierced the frozen silence. Both of them relaxed. The first one maintained their grip on the other's arm as they crept back toward the edge of the roof. "It's them. Quickly now, before the men come back."

There was a momentary scuffle, then faster than seemed possible, the two forms vanished from the rooftop. A few hurried footsteps were heard in the alley, and they were gone.

Only moments later, the first two men reappeared, considerably more rushed than before. Their feet scuffled on the cobblestone, coming to an abrupt halt.

"Is that all, then?" queried Watson. He swept his hat from his head in annoyance, looking to his partner.

"We appear to have been outpaced," the tall figure observed coolly. "Something was supposed to happen here. We are just too late."

"Not quite," the other interjected, bending suddenly. "What have they left?"

He held up a dark shape of fabric. They both leaned closer, looking over the object in the glow of the single streetlight.

"It's the same..." Watson trailed off in disbelief. "This certainly confuses matters, Holmes, for the other was left with us."

"On the contrary, Doctor. Rather, it clarifies everything. I should have been more careful tonight - we are dealing with a clever friend. Come, then, we can learn nothing more here." Straightening to his full height, Sherlock Holmes tucked the crimson glove into a pocket, and the two men abandoned the shadow-dappled alley.

*****

Yeah I'm posting the prologue even though I didn't intend to publish anything until I finished. But here you are!
So if people like this, I'll put up more... really, I'm not self-motivated at all, so y'all have to help me out here. If you want to hear the story, show some support!
~KC❤️