1.3

Archie was feeling positively sick.

He knew it had nothing to do with the dainties that were being offered, swept about on platters by servants. At any other time he would have been tempted by the tiny pastries and sweetmeats, but today he was certain he could stomach none of it.

He took a glass of dark red wine from a tray, needing something to keep his hands busy. His gaze flicked easily over the heads surrounding him - height was often an advantage in crowded rooms. From the opposite wall, Charles Henry Winchester met his eyes with a grin, thrusting an arm into the air to ensure Archie saw him.

Archie lifted his glass in acknowledgment, then lowered his gaze to search for a path through the crowd. He didn't quite remember how Charles Henry had become simply "Lee," but it was an old childhood nickname they'd grown up with, and now it rather startled Archie to hear his friend announced with the full title. Charlotte's name, likewise, had been morphed beyond recognition by their childish tongues, and Callie she would always remain in their intimate friendship.

All too soon, he had reached the circle where the Winchester siblings chatted, their mother currently dominating the conversation between several other ladies. Callie was speaking as he stepped up, presumably in response to a question from another lady.

"...and theatre," she was finishing. Lady Winchester immediately broke in.

"Of course, acting is only a minor hobby," she added hastily. "It's rather a common pastime, and Charlotte is certainly more widely cultured than most girls her age."

He took Callie's arm as he slipped between them, and she flashed him a smile before returning an attentive gaze to her mother. Archie marvelled at her composure under her mother's flippant remarks. No matter what the woman said, he thought, Callie was definitely an actress at heart: smiling and agreeing with her mother's every word, nodding politely at every guest when he knew she'd prefer to be anywhere but here.

"Yes, Charlotte is quite accomplished in the refined arts. She plays the piano and the cello with a distinct touch - her music teacher says she is naturally gifted, but of course I expect nothing less from my daughter." Louise Winchester bestowed a gracious smile upon her audience, drawing her daughter a little closer into the circle. Callie mimicked the serene expression on her mother's face perfectly.

"Perhaps later you will hear her sing," continued Louise. A lilting accent graced her every word, and she used its effect to the fullest. "She has spent so long at boarding school, ma cherie, I have nearly forgotten the sound of her sweet voice. It is a pity my children must be sent away to the continent, but quality education such as we insist on can only be found in my France."

A few ladies nodded their appreciation for the Winchesters' consideration. The buxom woman across from Archie sniffed rather disdainfully. "I dare say there may be such a thing as too much education for girls nowadays. Why fill their heads with dusty book-learning and modernist nonsense when all a girl needs is a decent husband? Men don't appreciate their wives to be more educated than they are, you know. My Lucretia has a governess. She is taught only the essentials, and a lovelier young lady you couldn't find with more suitors."

Louise remained unfazed. "If it is true that men prefer to have more knowledge than their wives, I have only secured an even more educated husband for my daughter, have I not? We must be forward-thinking in this day and age. And as you can see, suitors are not to be lacking."