Chapter II

Chapter Two: Emily

"Jake, hurry up!" Emily banged on her brother's door.
"You can't rush perfection, hermanita!" He called back.

Emily groaned and crossed her arms over her chest.

Her phone sounded off in her room and she sighed before walking in and pulling it off of the charger.

AJ: You should because at least then I know you're not some 45 year old man stalking me on the internet.

Emily let out a small laugh before replying.

EJ: What if I was a 44 year old man who thought you were cool?
AJ: Is that a confession?
EJ: Absolutely not.
AJ: Then be serious, what is it?

Emily licked her lips and looked down,

'It's just your age, Em. It's not like someone is going to find you with just your age. There are literally billions of seventeen year olds in the world.'

"Emily, ya nos vamos!" Jake yelled. Emily rolled her eyes and grabbed her bag before jogging downstairs.

...

The car ride was usually silent. Her car had been in the shop for forever, and she often contemplated on getting a new one all together.

Jake's eyes were glued to the road and Emily's to her phone as Gasolina played quietly on the radio.

EJ: Remind me again why I should tell you.

Emily pursed her lips as the message sent and her eyes averted to the radio.

"I don't know why you listen to reggaeton, it's not like you understand it." Emily looked at him.
"Oh, what. And you do?" Jake countered.

"Yeah." Emily laughed.
Jake rolled his eyes and they both went back into the silence they were comfortable with.

And then there was a buzz.

AJ: Because we're friends.

Emily rose an eyebrow and grinned

EJ: Wow, such a huge step in our relationship. I don't know if I'm ready for this kind of commitment, A.

Her comment made her laugh and Jake looked at her weirdly.

"You're smiling at your phone, you never do that." Jake started.
"I always do that." Emily scrunched her eyebrows together.

"No you don't." Jake countered.
"Jake, don't start." She rolled her eyes.

"Who are you talking to?" He rose an eyebrow.
Emily stopped and set her phone down.

"Since when do you have an interest in what I'm doing?" Emily questioned weirdly.

Emily didn't mean for it to come out so harsh, but in her defense, she and her brother never exactly got along. Sure she loved him but she did her own thing and so did he.

"Since it looks like you're in a relationship with someone." He responded easily.
Emily stopped and shook her head. She and A were just mutual acquaintances. Hell, she didn't even know their name.

Or their gender.

Or their age.

She would hardly call that a relationship.