The Golden Temple: Prologue

I was sitting by the side of the sarovar, at the same place where Geet and I always sat. I was waiting for her to come. An old man attired as a holy Sikh priest, wearing a saffron turban and sporting a long beard came near me. He radiated some positive energy which made my heart feel lighter. He sat by my side and chanted the Waheguru twice.

"Why are you so unhappy with life, son?" His voice was old but pure and clear.

Initially, I wanted to lie but then another thought struck my mind‒it would be better to just say the truth because telling the truth to a stranger is much easier than telling it to someone you know.

"I'm not clear about a few questions in life."

"And what are those questions?"

''When people know in their hearts that there is just one God then why have they created different religions and why do they fight with each other in the name of religion? Why are innocent people killed in the name of religion? When a Hindu kills a Hindu or a Sikh kills a Sikh or a Muslim kills a Muslim the blame is apportioned only on the perpetrator but when a Hindu kills a Sikh or Muslim, and a Muslim kills a Hindu or Sikh, the blame is not restricted to the criminal only; instead the whole community is treated as guilty. And then people of other religions leave their humanity behind and come out on the streets to kill innocent bystanders."

"Son, this is what the world is like now and you have to live in it. But if you want to see a change, then take a step forward and do something about it."

"How?" I asked.