Chapter 6- The Arena

My feet stumbled over the grass, running faster than I could comprehend. I sensed something coming close to me, and immediately threw myself to the ground. The grass tastes dry in my mouth.

I whip my head around and get a glimpse of the fight. The Careers are fighting for supplies. The other Districts are either running away or fighting. I should be running.

I jump back up and run towards the forest, having no supplies. A stray satchel is carelessly tossed to the side. I am nearing it. Do I dare head towards it?

I pass by Katniss, who is heading the opposite away from me. Neither of us will attack. We don't want to take chances.

I stoop down to grab the bag, and my fingers graze the top. Have I grabbed it? Everything is happening so quickly, I cannot focus.

My fingers tighten on the strap and I pull it up to my shoulder. I reach the tree line and keep going. Five, six, seven. That's how many trees I've passed. Is it time to climb? I don't want to be found, but I want to scavenge the Cornucopia later. Yes. I'll climb now.

I edge closer to the clearing. A few trees back. I scuttle up one, leaving my satchel next to me as I peer at the fight.

The boy from District 9, Destan, has a knife in his back. Clove stands near, clutching another. Katniss and Destan were fighting for the same bag, both weaponless.

Rift hits Jeyna, or maybe Camryn, with his backpack. Her partner tries to spear Rift in defense, but Thresh distracts him.

A bird chirps, distracting me from the fight. It's odd how such an innocent thing can fly in the midst of danger.

My eyes follow Rift as he crawls away, grabbing his weapon and leaving the bag. He chases the boy from 6 into the Cornucopia. Dumb move. He's fighting them both into a confined space, leaving them open for a behind attack.

Six- Jason, that was his name- grabs for Rift's neck, and shoves him against a crate. Rift fights back, and sends Jason flying into another crate. I guess Rift's strength beat Jason's in the end.

The bird lands near me, shaking the leaves that I watch through. It jars me, and I glance at it. The poor little bird. Stuck living in an arena, just like the rest of us.

I'm not going to keep watching the fight. I'll find out who is dead tonight, I don't need to watch it happen.

I climb down from the tree and take off. Once I'm far enough away, I reduce my speed to a cautious walk, listening for sound.

The cannons boom, and I count them. One, two, three. Four, five. Six. It stops after eleven. Eleven dead. I'm not sure who, except for those who I saw die. Destan is definitely gone.

I keep moving. I could keep this up for hours, but I'd eventually get tired. I stop after about an hour and a half, judging by the sun.

I go through my satchel as I walk. My fingers feel for something, and I pull out a little packet. What is it? I inspect it more closely, and turn it over. SALT is printed on the other side. A salt packet. For food, perhaps, or maybe I could use it for an animal trap.

I set the salt packet back inside of the satchel. All supplies are useful. I don't want to lose a thing.

A flashlight appears next. I can't think of a use for it now. I'm not capable of attacking someone yet, and a flashlight would only give me away. Later, when there are less people around, when I have an advantage.

I pull a small dagger out of the bag, and turn it over in my hands. A short silver blade, a wooden handle. Maybe not much good in a fight, unless it's close combat. But skinning animals, harvesting plants, all uses.