CHAPTER 3: PERCY

Mute, I had allowed myself to be taken to the police station, holding Lizzy in my arms. I would never be a worthy enough substitute for her parents. The entire journey had remained silent apart from radio chatter between the officers and I hadn't let myself cry, not wanting to believe they were gone. In the police station, the female officer came to take Lizzy and keep her safe while I was questioned. But I couldn't let her go. Not so soon after Mom and Paul's murder. I sat listlessly in the interrogation room, feeling completely shell-shocked and devoid of any real emotion. Lizzy had quietened down after a fretful few hours in the hospital.

I had killed a man. Well. Severely injured him, blunt force trauma to the head could lead to concussion, compression, dizziness and internal bleeding. Then death. I'd seen it too often before in the med bay, Will Solace tending to the wounds of many, keeping those who didn't have much longer comfortable during their last few hours. Was I a killer at heart? A murderer as awful as the man who had killed my parents? I didn't know. Too much blood had been shed during the Second Titan and Second Giant Wars for me to know if I had spilt demigod life or immortal ichor. My attorney, provided free by the state, told me I was legally unable to be prosecuted due to a law called "castle doctrine" or something. I didn't care if I went to jail, Lizzy would be better off away from me because anything I touch I just blight. But in came the officers of the law, expressions stern, acting like I was inferior. Dirt on their boot.

"Hello Percy." The one on the left cracked a smile. Were they attempting the bad cop, good cop method? How predictable. "We just need to run over the details from last night. Evidently, it's been very hard for you, but a case is best solved in the first 72 hours of it happening."

I nodded. All I wanted was for this to be over as soon as possible.

"Firstly, your full name is Perseus Jackson and you are 17 years old, correct?" Asked the police officer with the glasses.

"Yeah."

"And your sister's full name is Elizabeth Blofis and she is 11 months old?"

"Uh huh." I replied, unsure what these questions, that they could have easily found out in their database, had to do with anything.

"That night. What happened? In your words."

"Well," I paused. I had been keeping the memories at bay, pushing the trauma to the back of my mind. It all came rushing forward, snapping at my composure. "I had gone to bed at maybe 10, 10.30 because recently I've been studying loads in order to be up to standard for senior year. Mom was changing Lizzy's diaper in the main bedroom and Paul was making coffee. I fell asleep closer to 11, I think."

My eyes narrowed in on the clock ticking softly, watching the second-hand inch round. Beginning to feel a bit cooped up in this small and dingy room, I started bouncing my leg and glancing around the room. A light cough startled me out of my reverie.

"Oh. What was I saying?" "

You had just told us that you had fallen asleep around 11 o'clock. What happened next Perseus?" The officers were getting antsy, it was 10pm, the kid had slept in due to blood loss. Hell to office hours, they weren't coming in until late tomorrow.

"Huh. It was about 11.40 I guess when I woke up again. There were gunshots. From my parents' bedroom and I could hear Lizzy screaming. So, I grabbed the nearest thing I could find to defend my self with and went over. I... I walked in and, and I could just smell blood. And there was a man standing there, holding a gun, turning towards me, shooting at me. And I brought the bat down on his head. Hard. Because that man had shot my parents and now, he wanted to kill me. It was self-defence. He broke into my house, I live on the fourth floor for gods' sake, it had to have been planned. He was probably after me"