When We Were Young

"Introducing Princess Emma of Misthaven!" Shouted the announcer.

Emma walked down the steps in her elegant, blood red dress. Her hair was pinned into a bun on the top of her head. All the guests applauded her as she got to the floor. Her first dance was with her father, then a few other men in the room. She stopped at the refreshments table for some champagne when a man cleared their throat behind her. She turned to see a handsome man wearing a navy uniform, only it wasn't the uniform that belonged to her kingdom. She smiled at the man, who in turn smiled back at her. His bright blue eyes shone with admiration.

"Lieutenant Jones, your majesty," he introduced himself with a smile. "Would you like to dance?"

Emma nodded and put her glass down and took the lieutenant's hand to the dance floor. "Please, it is Emma Swan. Not Princess."

"Pleased to meet you, Emma. My name is Killian Jones."

They got to the dance floor and started swaying to the music. "So, Killian, what kingdom are you from? I am not familiar with the uniform."

"A maritime kingdom about a two weeks journey from here."

"Interesting. I've never been away from the castle."

"Maybe one day, I will have the honor of escorting you somewhere."

"Maybe," she replied with a grin of her own.

Emma and Killian only danced with each other for the rest of the night, not knowing that the King and Queen were watching them with happy smiles on their faces. About an hour before the ball was over, Emma and Killian went to the balcony overlooking the garden. It was Emma's sixteenth birthday ball. Killian was eighteen years old. She loved the fact that they were so close in age. Maybe when she turned twenty-one, Killian could be there, being crowned King. But, she only knew the man for two hours. It was beyond too soon to start thinking about the future, especially five years ahead in the future.

"I am very glad my brother is feeling ill today. He was supposed to attend the ball tonight, but made me go in his place. It has been a much better night then I expected it to be," Killian said as he leaned his arms on the railing.

Emma giggled and covered her mouth, then made the same posture as he. "Me too."

"So, Princess, I am leaving on a voyage tomorrow morning. I should be gone for about two weeks at most. Will I be able to see you when I return?"

Emma bit her lip and looked up at him. "Maybe you will."

"Emma!" A voice called from behind the two. Emma and Killian turned around to see Queen Snow White and King David coming up to them. Their hands entwined together. "Who is your friend?"

Killian instantly bowed in front of the King and Queen. "Your hignesses," he said, lowering his head. "It has been a pleasure spending time with your daughter. She is a wonderful princess and will make a fantastic queen one day."

"Stop it, Killian," Emma scolded. She tugged on his arm and he stood up straighter. "Mom, Dad, this is Lieutenant Killian Jones. He attended in the place of his brother, Captain Liam Jones of the ship The Jewel of the Realm."

"Ah, a lieutenant, eh? I like you already," David admired.

"Thank you, your highness," Killian said with a smile.

"Enough of that. How about you join me, my wife, and Emma in the parlor for a drink?"

"With all due respect, sir, I must decline. In fact," Killian took out his pocket watch and gasped at the time. "I must be going. I am leaving on a top secret mission in the morning and my brother needs me."