Ch. 21 (PG-13) A Nervous Bridegroom on his Wedding Night

"Encouragement", Ch. 21 (PG-13) A Nervous Bridegroom on his Wedding Night,  December 10, 2016 Gratiana Lovelace (Post #1013)  

(An original Regency romance copyrighted by Gratiana Lovelace; all rights reserved) [(1) story cover, left]

[From time to time, I will illustrate my story characters with: Richard Armitage as Lord Christian Blount Earl of Sussex, Kate Winslet and Emma Lady Hamilton as Lady Madeline Lucretia Sinclair, Dame Maggie Smith as Lady Lucretia Beckham Knott, Jessica Brown Findlay as Lady Elizabeth Blount, Crispin Bonham-Carter as Lord Harold Blount, Dame Judi Dench as Lady Catherine Blount the Dowager Countess of Sussex, Rupert Penry Jones as Lord Duncan the Viscount Lindsay, Corin Redgrave as Squire Sutton Sinclair, Amanda Root as Mrs. Russell, Hugh Griffith as Lord Christian's solicitor Mr. Rittenhouse, and others as noted.]

Authors Content Note: "Encouragement" is a frothy love story with sometimes humorous and sometimes dramatic themes of love and relationships. It will mostly be at the PG and PG-13 movie levels. Specific chapters or passages may have a further rating of: D for dramatic emotions, and LS for love scenes that are tenderly sensuous and not explicit. And I will rate the chapters accordingly. If you are unable or unwilling to attend a movie with the ratings that I provide for a chapter, then please do not read that chapter. This is my disclaimer. And as is my habit, I will summarize the previous chapter's events at the beginning of each chapter.

Author's recap from the previous chapter: Christian Lord Sussex is pleased upon learning from his solicitor that a fine and distinguished family has proposed to let Sussex Hall in the country this Summer for a handsome fee that will go a long way to paying Lord Christian's Grandfather's creditors—Lord Duncan's family, the Lindsay's. Then Lord Christian has another near escape from disaster when visiting the apothecary to procure tea for his Grandmother, his former amour Lady Brenda and her husband Lord William Huntsford the Duke of Exeter also enter the apothecary's shop. And after some awkwardness—on Lord Sussex's part—he wishes their Graces felicitations upon their marriage, and upon the upcoming birth of their first child. Then to add to Lord Christian's discomfiture, his betrothed Lady Madeline gleefully tracks him down to give her thanks to him in person about his lovely love note and the nosegay that she received from him this morning. He has to introduce her to their Graces, and more conversation ensues—with Lord Christian discovering when taking Lady Madeline home that she had guessed that Her Grace the Duchess of Exeter had been one of Lord Christian's amours.

"Encouragement", Ch. 21 (PG-13):  A Nervous Bridegroom on his Wedding Night

With having faced both an angry Lady Madeline who dissolved their betrothal three days ago—but they reconciled—and then a cheerful Lady Madeline at the apothecary's shop the next day, Lord Christian is spared from the vagaries of her emotions the day before their wedding. But she is not, due to her regular—monthly—illness and ill humors. And it is bad luck to see the bride the day before the wedding—until she walks up the church aisle to him.

So Lord Christian reluctantly consents to a males only dinner gathering at Sussex House organized by his brother Lord Harold and attended by Lord Duncan the Viscount Lindsay and a mystery guest. When Lord Christian had first heard of the scheme, he was wary. He is an Earl and believes rightly that he must maintain decorum. So Lord Christian thinks that having his Bridegroom Party in his mansion home Sussex House in London—where his Grandmother and younger sister abide—will protect him from his brother's often questionable exploits. He will be half right—or half wrong.

Three men are gathered in Lord Christians' richly appointed—and masculine—study at Sussex House, sipping their brandies while awaiting their dinner and a fourth to join them.