Act 1 - Benvolio (2)

CHAPTER TWO

Benvolio

"You haven't seen Romeo, have you?" Montague asks.

"I haven't, uncle," I inform him. "In fact, I haven't seen him for nigh on a month now, and when I do, he scurries away as if I'm not there."

"Yes, I've noticed that as well. Mercutio has also told me that Romeo's been depressed lately," his wife adds.

Montague shakes his head. "A death in the alleyways, and now my son acting up."

"A death?" I ask.

Lady Montague nods, almost nonchalantly, "A Capulet servant was found at the crack of dawn. It looks like a murder, though they refuse to admit it."

Montague growls, "And now the Prince wants to talk to me and that Capulet about our feud. I'm to come to the palace this afternoon."

Interesting.

"Are you leaving soon?" I ask.

"I'd like to talk to Romeo, but it seems that I'll have to leave before I will be able to," he says wearily. And in that moment, Montague doesn't look like the proud lord he is, he looks, quite simply, tired.

"Well, I suppose I could give it a try," I offer. "Maybe Romeo needs to spend time with someone that has a closer perspective to him."

Lady Montague nods, "Yes, that might help. Perhaps he'll open up to once he sees that you came to help."

"It's worth a try," Montague agrees. "Well then, my nephew, I must take my leave now if we wish to meet the Prince on time. I hope you can talk some sense into my son."

They both stand and leave the table. Smirking, I lean back in my chair. How easy it was to play people. I grab an apple from the table and follow my aunt and uncle on their way out. I have much to do today.

~

"Romeo!" I call out when I see his figure moving through the throngs of people on the crowded street. "Romeo!" I push people out of the way and put a hand on his shoulder. "Finally, I've found you."

"So you have," he mutters, moving out of my grasp.

I sigh exasperatedly as I follow him to the edge of the wood. "Why are you so moody?" I ask. No point in beating around the bush.

He scowls at me and pushes through the brush. Following behind him, I pick up stones and throw them to the side. "You know, ever since that ball almost a month ago, you've been acting different." He says nothing. "You've been avoiding me, Mercutio, all of your other friends, members of your house, servants of the household. And when you do see them, you act depressed and don't say a word."

"My parents sent you, didn't they?"

"I came of my own free will."

"But my parents asked you."

I sigh, throwing the last stone at a tree with more force than necessary. "Tell me, Romeo, what is it that has been bothering you these past weeks? Was it something someone did?" I ask. "You know we can arrange for that person-"

"No one did anything. Leave me."

"Your father is one of the most powerful people in Verona."

"So is Capulet."

"Capulet?" I repeat. "What does he have to do with anything?"

Romeo doesn't answer, instead, he pushes away the branches of a willow tree that opens up into a clearing. A small brook runs peacefully to the side. We used to come here when we were little. Romeo's parents would ask me to look after him, and soon enough, we had to bring along little Mercutio. He was shy and quiet at first, but eventually we convinced him to open up. Or, as Montague says, "corrupted his mindful behavior."