Day One

Day One

Wheeling down the hall of my High School, I kept my head down. I was bumped into constantly because, to admit, I wasn't popular. I was a nobody, the weirdo, the cripple.

You see, I was the outcast cripple. That was my title in this blasted high school. Being socially awkward also didn't help.

Suddenly, I was bumped into, breaking me from my thoughts. I was used to this, but usually it was more forceful. I looked up and saw the most beautiful boy I have ever seen.

Beautiful, soft looking red hair, dark green eyes, olive skin, and strong arms. When he looked at me, I expected him to look at me in complete disgust, like everyone else. But to my surprise, he smiled at me, a blinding, extraordinary smile.

And then-oh his voice!-he said "Oh I'm terribly sorry. I didn't mean to bump into you." And then he smiled again, an adorable, dorky, awkward smile. And he aimed that smile at me. Me!

I looked at him and smiled back, my usual smile, fake, but very convincing. I used it all the time. I don't think I've actually smiled in years. "It's ok, I'm used to it," I said quietly. I almost cringed at how weak and broken my voice sounded.

He frowned when he saw my, very, fake smile. This confused me. He saw through the illusion I have perfected over years and years of practice?

"I'm Mason Brown." He said in a soft voice. It felt like he could see into my soul and see what was fake and what was real.

I ducked my head and looked at my lap, paralyzed legs clad in black skinny jeans, feet covered in black combat boots. My red shirt and thin material gray jacket were slightly wet from the rain outside, as well as my long, straight black hair. "I'm Sapphire Hopewell." I said with a soft voice.

The beautiful boy-Mason-smiled his amazing smile. "That's a beautiful name. Sapphire." He said, my name rolling off his tongue perfectly.

I blushed, it showing clearly in my pale cheeks. Thank god that I had the excuse that it was cold outside. I looked up at him, his soft smile directed towards me. My stomach swarmed with butterflies and I felt a warm feeling in my chest.

He looked over his shoulder at the group of people who were calling his name. He looked back at me.

"I have to go. I'll see you tomorrow? Maybe later?" He asked, looking unsure. That instantly surprised me, once again. As you can see, I'm not very good at this 'Social' thing.

But damn, this boy was full of surprises.

I looked at him, at his silky red hair, sparkling green eyes, and perfect lips. I looked back at his eyes and slowly nodded. He grinned and waved, running towards the group of rowdy boys.

I sat there for a minute, astonished. What the hell just happened? Then I connected the dots. Mason Brown. Star student. Popular. He could have any girl he wanted. He was my exact opposite, but was just like me at the same time. Now I was seriously confused.

I shrugged it off, putting it in the back of my mind and wheeled myself towards my first class, Art with Mr.Morgern. He was an amazing artist and my second favorite teacher. He was nice and fair. I was one of the better students in the class, quiet, efficient, actually good at art.

I wheeled into the classroom, happy to be one of the first people in the class. I hated being late to class for two reasons: 1. Because I don't want to get into trouble, and 2. I don't want to draw attention to myself. I hated attention, especially from bullies.

Mr.Morgern greeted me like he usually does. Now, Mr.Morgern wasn't young but he sure as hell wasn't old and vulnerable. He could tell if you were talking or chewing gum, even if you were in the very back of the room. He was in his late 40s with graying, black hair, a kind smile, and twinkling light blue eyes. Like I said before, he was nice but fair.

I wheeled behind a desk without a chair, for obvious reasons. I took out my art supplies and my sketch pad. I looked at my most recent drawing, which wasn't yet done. Every time I looked at it, even halfway done, it brought tears to my eyes. It was of me, before the accident, with my older brother and younger sister, Jamie and Lee. I smiled faintly, very faintly at the memory of my beloved siblings.

The sound of the late bell ringing brought me from my memories. Popular kids and rebels who liked to be late and, well, rebel, came in. This is where it gets fun. Oh the joy of a high school cripple.

~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm sorry for the short chapters. I promise they'll get longer as we progress, alright? Ok.

Remember to vote and comment. If this chapter gets one comment and two likes I'll update.

Bye!
~Dark Angel