Winter Miracles

I'm not too sure as to when I started to develop feelings for Alex Fierro. It might have been when I first laid eyes on her. It might have been when I saw her in that beautiful wedding dress Sif made for her a few months back. Regardless of when I started developing my crush on her, I was now head over heels in love.

It was now three weeks before Christmas. I wanted to impress Alex but had no idea how. Sam knew how I felt for her sibling, and would always tease me about it when it from time to time, but I knew it was just a joke. My cousin, Annabeth, also knew a little bit about Alex and I think she might have caught onto my crush.

One morning, I was sitting at the table we always sat at eating my breakfast. Mallory, Halfborn, and TJ. Alex hadn't shown up at the table yet, which didn't surprise me because I could hear her blaring music through the wall last night. I think she turned it up louder when she heard me complaining about it.

I was just about to take the last donut from the plate in the center when something deadly flew at my hand. I let out a high pitch scream and fell out of my chair.

"It's all yours!" I shouted, hoping that whoever it was wouldn't harm me.

"Oh, shut up, Chase," I heard Alex say as he took a seat. Today was one of his manly days, I could tell. I got off the floor and sat down. Beside me, Alex happily munched away at his donut. On the table between us was his enhanced garotte wire that Sif made for her with hair.

"No weapons on the table, Alex," I reminded her. He rolled his eyes, not making any move to take it off the table. I was about to ask her again when everyone else at the table put their weapon of choice on the table. "I give up."

I glanced over at Alex's wrist. Shortly after the Loki stuff that happened earlier this year, people still couldn't tell when Alex was a he or a she. His compromise was to wear a pink bracelet if he was a girl for the day and a blue one if he was a boy. Right now, it was a blue bracelet, though I knew for a fact that he also had the pink one in his pocket.

The announcement for the daily battle training came twenty minutes later. We all headed down to the arena to fight. Along the way, I summoned Jack from his pendant form, immediately telling him not to start singing Christmas classics.

"Aw, why not?"

"Because we're going into battle and I'm not about to be that one guy who shows up singing carols."

I heard what I assumed was a sigh come from Jack. We entered the room, and the second the whistle blew, chaos erupted. Today was a free for all, meaning my chances of surviving today's bloodbath was one out of infinite possibility.

Our group let out a battle cry, charging into the battlefield. TJ ran out in front of us, rapidly firing at the crowd of people around us. Mallory and Halfborn were back to, already locked in combat with some other random people. Alex, who had been right beside me moments ago, had turned into a bird and started pecking people's eyes out. As for me, I had already run my sword through four people who came at me with knives and axes.

"Hey, Alex! A little help here!" I shout, seeing three people making their way over. Seconds later, a bird came swooping down, peaking at one of the guys in the head. Someone else, someone with a gun, shot another one of the guys, leaving me to deal with the last two. Now that everything was under control, I started fighting back.

I felt someone back up against me, but not in a threatening way. I cast a glance over my shoulder to see Alex standing there with his golden garotte wire in hand; ready to take down any and all opponents. I knew that shapeshifting took a lot of energy out of him, so it was understandable that he was now in human form. We'd been fighting for about half an hour now.