[27.1]: A Day Full of Surprises: Part 1

I am certain I felt the air turn icy. There was no other explanation for the stark silence to send goosebumps rising across my skin. Everyone remained still in their position before the outburst. Now, everything had seemed to stop in time. If I didn't have a heightened sense of hearing, I wouldn't have heard anyone's shallow breathing.

My own ragged pants of anger were the only sounds echoing through this otherwise muted room. I had to remember that stress wasn't good for the baby as I tried to calm down. It wasn't helping as Thing 1 and Thing 2 stared down at me with the same bland expression. Nothing about the way they leered in my direction spoke of the things swirling around in their heads.

Everything was silent.

Well, everything was silent until the bulky man, who would unfortunately be my baby's grandfather, spoke volumes in the hushed room.

"I've got to say," he started while giving me an unreadable expression, "You have that same passionate fury like your mother. It's slightly disturbing how you appear to be a carbon copy of her."

My eyebrows shifted downward as I took in his tense form. I had no idea where he was coming from with this b.s., but I did know his insufferable taunting would send me over the edge any minute now as he keeps talking. This searing passion to rip through his chest and hold his heart in my hand was becoming almost unbearable to hold back.

His eyes took a once over of my form, taking a pause that was a second to long at my slightly apparent bump. I'm not sure how I didn't notice the weight gain before. I was probably too stuffing my face with weird combinations of foods. Again, I don't know how I didn't notice before. I'm surprised no one else noticed before either. Then again, they are too wrapped up into their own lives to care about a confusing werewolf case of a Luna.

Anyway, I self-consciously wrapped my arms around my stomach with a snarl on my face. If he thought he could find a weak spot to attack my baby, he had a whole lot of things he would be asking for. One of those things being a slice of the nail to the cornea before spilling its contents onto the floor.

I wasn't playing when it comes to my baby. This was just a miracle that happened out of a naive girl's mistake. There was no more living for myself now. I had another living being that would depend on me to keep them safe and out of harm's way. That meant I also wasn't going to let anyone take them away from me, especially before they're even able to take their first breath.

"Such a shame"-He twisted the ring on his right ring finger- "since you also got your power lust from her too."

My eyes snapped up to glare him down. How dare he continue to slander my mother? Who does this bastard think he is? "What kind of vendetta do you have against my mom?"

He looked at her with a bland expression, showing no emotion whatsoever. The room remained silent as they waited for what their previous Alpha had to say. Everyone seemed to stop breathing and moving, just to catch the words that left that vile mouth. "Let's just say that you wouldn't be in this situation right now."

My face scrunched in fury and confusion. It's like this a-hole couldn't give a straight answer. He was starting to piss me off.

"I would have been your father," he replied after minutes of suspense. My blood ran cold and my heart stopped before beating way too fast against my chest. What did he say?

A collective gasp serenaded the large room. No corner was left silent as everyone processed the words that filled the empty space. A buzz started to fill my ears as my body became lead. My breath left me as if a snake had found its way onto my body and coiled itself around my neck until it couldn't squeeze anymore. The blood in my body felt like cold syrup, freezing, and traveling slowly towards its destination.